My monitor is degrading

andrewcollier

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
:grumpy:
My CRT monitor has lost its clarity and I am considering a replacement. I have looked at a review on a website saying a CRT tube starts to degrade after 3 years (mine is 4 years old) although I see many people with monitors older than mine that seem to be fine. I am considering an LCD as I have seen many reviews saying how good they are for digital imaging although not quite up to a CRT.

I have three questions:-

1. Has anybody had experience with their CRT degrading?
2. Does anybody have any thoughts on how an LCD may degrade?
3. I am thinking of a massive upgrade from a 17 inch CRT up to a 24 inch widescreen. (Dell Ultrasharp 2405FPW 24" widescreen LCD Flat Panel Monitor.) Does anybody have any experience of digital imaging on a screen this big? I feel it would be worthwhile when working on two image files. It would also double up as a watchable TV.

Thanks

I really know nothing about monitors, except that I could REALLY use a new one! :lol: Mine has terrible contrast, is quite dark, and is shaking around the edges enough to give me a headache. I'd like to hear about crt degradation as well.

I have three questions:-

1. Has anybody had experience with their CRT degrading?
I have an ancient one, gotta be 6 years old now - a NEC, which has served me amazingly well. In just the last month or two, it has started to give an odd flicker, thus showing its age and I know it's on its way out. But aside from that, you'd never know it - it's still briar sharp and shows good contrast and clarity. I will hate replacing it. I'm not really interested in an LCD; the ones I've looked at fall short to what I have now.

For photography and graphics, CRTs are still more accurate. You'd be much happier, and better off, buying two 21" CRTs.

If you get a LCD USE A SCREEN SAVER AND NEVER EVER LEAVE IT ON WHEN YOU'RE AWAY. doing so can really screw them up pretty badly

I will be getting a NEC/mitsubishi 21 inch CRT next year. They last around 5 years usually, and are a pleasure to profile.

I have a top model viewsonic LCD and I think it's unsuitable for graphics. You still get color shifts when you change the position of your head.

Cheers

Most reactions

New Topics

Back