My most recent childerens portraits, C and C please

hayleyfraser24

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
hayleyfraserphotography.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have not posted on here for such a long time. I am still practicing all the time and doing free photo shoots to gain experience. This shoot was one of my friends gorgeous neice and nefews. I tend to be very critical of myself and I think thats a good thing, i guess im needing some feedback on these shots from proffesionals. I picked up my first camera a year ago and a hobbie turned into passion and ambition. I thnk the shots are ok but my question is would you pay for them if they were your kids photos? Id love to take my passion further but have no idea about setting up a buisiness. Im lucky to have met a local photographer who is going to meet me and help me! I was shocked that someone would be so kind! I added only one colour photo, I like the black and white ones better but im starting to think thats more of a personal preference. The photos are quite simple, just capturing the kids as they are... should I be trying to think more creatively? Thanks in advance for any comments and critique :)

1 Jessica

lil31of1-8.jpg

2 Jack

lil31of1-7.jpg

3 Lukas

lil31of1-5.jpg

4 Jack colour

090.jpg

The seem to have a sepia/yellow cast to them. If this was intentional then nevermind me. :) Also, try shooting vertical people vertically. I would give Jack a slight bit of smoothing in his cheeks on the color one as it is a touch blotchy. All in all these are good- I like you lighting and the catchlights in the eyes, but Jack could use a hairlight, especially in the black and white one.

The seem to have a sepia/yellow cast to them. If this was intentional then nevermind me. :) Also, try shooting vertical people vertically. I would give Jack a slight bit of smoothing in his cheeks on the color one as it is a touch blotchy. All in all these are good- I like you lighting and the catchlights in the eyes, but Jack could use a hairlight, especially in the black and white one.

Thanks for the tips and critique, yea I went for a creamy kind of black and white but it shouldnt look sepia toned. I felt the the black and white was a bit harsh. I the agree with your comments, maybe thats why I like the black and white ones more as it tends to smooth skin more. Thanks for taking the time to comment :)

In addition to that posted above, the lighting is a little flat; consider changing one of your SBs for a different modifier, or at least put it in a different location.

What kind of modifiers are you using for your flashes?

What kind of modifiers are you using for your flashes?

I actually only have 2 large soft boxes and I also use window light. I recently purchased an SB Flash, I havent used it yet, I think I can attach that to my tripod with an umberella and hopefully I can achieve some better results.. im working on a budget but I am increasing my gear when I can afford it. I think I should probably get a second flash once I learn how to use it!:)

Yea from my experience, that second flash really opens up a lot of options. Don't get it twisted though, you can still achieve great results with a single flash + modifiers. Do yourself a favor and invest in some reflectors as well.

Are you shooting Canon or Nikon?

Yea from my experience, that second flash really opens up a lot of options. Don't get it twisted though, you can still achieve great results with a single flash + modifiers. Do yourself a favor and invest in some reflectors as well.

Are you shooting Canon or Nikon?

Im shooting with my Nikon D7000 and I have an f1.8 50mm portrait lens, Im definatly going to get some reflectors I think that will help alot. Thanks for the advice :)

Missed focus on all the eyes, not sure why you are shooting portraits at F2.5 why too shallow

I have had some good success shots with f2.5 or f2.8, I like the shallow depth of field you can achieve... is this wrong? Also because I didnt have flashes before just very recently lighting was sometimes an issue and when I was shooting wide open I could achieve a faster shutter speed. What F stop would you recommend?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back