My nephew

swmocity

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
what can i do go get rid of the shadows...and what could i have done overall to make it a better picture?

2702285909_f38326edf8.jpg

2703105154_6dcac3d18c.jpg

Eliminating the shadows? Easy, don't stand between the light and the subject. I know that might sound a little sarcastic, but that's really all there is to it. When you put something between a light source and a bacground (subject), you get a shadow.

The first image looks very flat to me; despite the long shadows, I suspect the sun was still too high in the sky. Ideally early morning and later afternoon/evening are the best times for [most] outdoor photography, with the light becoming less "attractive" closer to noon. The image is also at least 1/2 stop over-exposed.

Notice as well that the image isn't straight; the "Stop ahead" sign is on a definite lean. Always try and make sure your camera is level, even if it means getting into an awkward position. I would suggest trying to redo this image so that you have all of the child in the frame (not cropped at the knees) and using a much shallower DoF to 'blur' the background.

As far as #2 goes, it's slightly over-exposed, but not so much as the first. Always try and have the subject looking toward you; not always right into the camera, but at least toward you. This is one of the difficulties of photographing young children. They often tend to do their own thing. This image also needs to be straightened.

Just my $00.02 worth - your milage may vary.

~John

i have a longgggggg ways to go

I think exposure on #2 is perfect. Exposure on #1 looks a little over as tirediron said... The sky looks hazy... not very blue either, maybe a polarizer, the colors seem dull

Most reactions

Back