My New D600's LV SUCKS!!!!!

Never mind, today is my Birthday and my 90 year old Mother just handed me a D600!!!!! I can't believe it! She went to the camera store and picked it out with their help. I'm shocked and thrilled!!!

Wow. Your Mom buys you the camera, and you hate the Liveview. Never use LiveView to look a gift-horse in the mouth. You'll get licked every time.

Liveview is secondary on a DSLR. The D600 is the first full-frame Digital camera in this price range.

I suggest you persevere with using the VF and don't worry about the LV, by all accounts the D600 is a good quality and reasonably cheap full frame DSLR, LV is pretty irrelevant.

... It doesn't assimilate changes in aperture or speed when shooting stills, so to me it's totally useless....
If anyone has additional thoughts about this, feel free to respond.

It has actually been widely reported issue, see dpreview or any of the larger camera reviews of the D600, or web search: "nikon d600 firmware live view" (without the quotes)

I haven't seen any release or time line, so don't know when it will be released.

As for not being able to see in bright sun, I suspect that's more LCDs displays in general ... for various degrees of bright.

-Robert

Complaining about live view on a pro quality camera is like complaining about the cup holders in a Ferrari.

I resent your implication that the D600 is even approaching pro quality, good sir. :lol:

It's a D7000 with a shiny new FX sensor crammed inside, with a couple extra bells and whistles and a whole lot of intentionally gimped features.

I like live view on my Canon. It makes landscapes and starscapes so much easier since I've learned not to trust the meter in the camera lol.

It makes up for the other gimped features of my Canon.

I can't buy into the whole "LV is omg so worthless, no pros use it, only the noobs use it, everyone needs aight meter blah blah"

Complaining about live view on a pro quality camera is like complaining about the cup holders in a Ferrari.

I resent your implication that the D600 is even approaching pro quality, good sir. :lol:

It's a D7000 with a shiny new FX sensor crammed inside, with a couple extra bells and whistles and a whole lot of intentionally gimped features.

A Pro camera is one you make money with.

Just saying.

I like live view on my Canon. It makes landscapes and starscapes so much easier since I've learned not to trust the meter in the camera lol.

It makes up for the other gimped features of my Canon.

I can't buy into the whole "LV is omg so worthless, no pros use it, only the noobs use it, everyone needs aight meter blah blah"

Bit of a straw man there. it's not about shooting like a pro, it's about using your kit for what's it's good for and one of the best things about a DSLR is that it gives you all the SLR advantages. If one's going to bag a DSLR for the sake of it's live view then maybe one doesn't need a DSLR, there's plenty of good mirrorless cameras out there if live view is your thing that don't have all that bulk that the SLR mechanism entails.

I see the likeness has been drawn of disliking a ferrari for it's cupholders but I see it more as using a Hummer for shopping trips and picking up your kids from school, sure it can do it but it's not what it's designed for and there are other vehicles that are better suited for your requirments.

My Sony has a tilt screen and even moves around. Never use it.

Perhaps you should. My view is that considering the fact that you have paid for the feature, you might as well use it and see if it helps your shooting. I avoid getting into a rut and force myself to experiment with new features to see if they can work for my style.

skieur

Benco said:
Bit of a straw man there. it's not about shooting like a pro, it's about using your kit for what's it's good for and one of the best things about a DSLR is that it gives you all the SLR advantages. If one's going to bag a DSLR for the sake of it's live view then maybe one doesn't need a DSLR, there's plenty of good mirrorless cameras out there if live view is your thing that don't have all that bulk that the SLR mechanism entails.

I see the likeness has been drawn of disliking a ferrari for it's cupholders but I see it more as using a Hummer for shopping trips and picking up your kids from school, sure it can do it but it's not what it's designed for and there are other vehicles that are better suited for your requirments.

Nobody said they bought a DSLR just for LV.

In referring to people who are down on LV because they think it somehow makes a photographer "inferior"

It strikes me as being in the same vein of photographers who snub their nose at Lightroom presets and Photoshop actions. Lol

I suggest you persevere with using the VF and don't worry about the LV, by all accounts the D600 is a good quality and reasonably cheap full frame DSLR, LV is pretty irrelevant.

The Nikon D90 with onyl 12 megapixels beats the D600 at ISO 1600 in both less noise and more sharpness if you compare images.

skieur

The Nikon D90 with onyl 12 megapixels beats the D600 at ISO 1600 in both less noise and more sharpness if you compare images.

skieur

er...and what has that to do with the LV on the D600?

skieur

No it doesn't. Not if you compare properly exposed images.

skieur said:

skieur

Empirical evidence please.

Most reactions

Back