My New lens just jammed ...no more movement to focus...

Photo Lady

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
did anyone ever have this happen....My .tamron lens focus stuck completely 0n the tamron 18-400..i purchased new last year.. now using my oldest lens.. will send this in for repairs ..still under warranty.. but curious if this ever happened before....... it is totally jammed..........

this is a fairly common issue with many zoom lenses, according to articles written by Roger at lens rentals.com.

A few years ago I had a Nikon 50 to 135 mm manual focus zoom lens fall from my shoulder height onto an asphalt parking lot, and it damage the zooming capability of the lens. No zooming whatsoever, and since it is a one ring zoom lens, no focusing either the focus is firmly stuck as well.

this is a fairly common issue with many zoom lenses, according to articles written by Roger at lens rentals.com.

A few years ago I had a Nikon 50 to 135 mm manual focus zoom lens fall from my shoulder height onto an asphalt parking lot, and it damage the zooming capability of the lens. No zooming whatsoever, and since it is a one ring zoom lens, no focusing either the focus is firmly stuck as well.
wow did you have it repaired.. will they say i did the damage...i hope not.. i do not remember anything i did different.. mine is stuck totally too.. i am afraid to force anything.. so i will send it in as is..... i wonder what causes this.......thanks for reply..

....... it is totally jammed..........
I had a Nikon lens jamb up. :eek:

I first noticed some grinding noise when zooming, and it finally got to the point that it would not zoom out to the widest. Since it was a used lens bought cheap, I didn't bother with any repair effort.

It still had 90% of the zoom range available, with no more grinding, and it still focused, but I bought another used lens to replace it and gave the damaged one away to my son. I cautioned him to not attempt to get it past the hard stop, but rather to just use it as it is.

I hope your lens will be repaired under factory warranty.

....... it is totally jammed..........
I had a Nikon lens jamb up. :eek:

I first noticed some grinding noise when zooming, and it finally got to the point that it would not zoom out to the widest. Since it was a used lens bought cheap, I didn't bother with any repair effort.

It still had 90% of the zoom range available, with no more grinding, and it still focused, but I bought another used lens to replace it and gave the damaged one away to my son. I cautioned him to not attempt to get it past the hard stop, but rather to just use it as it is.

I hope your lens will be repaired under factory warranty.
thank you.. thats what i hope that they will fix it under the warranty...i was all set to buy a new one soon.. and eventually sell this one.. now i might have to pay more..mine does not move at all.. totally jammed... thanks for input...

thats what i hope that they will fix it under the warranty...i was all set to buy a new one soon.. and eventually sell this one.. now i might have to pay more..mine does not move at all.. totally jammed... thanks for input...

I can't speak for the warranty as I have not needed it. I do have a 24-70 that took a rock (from a helicopter) to the front lens, I kept using it. Then a few months later I dropped it and it quit focusing. Less then $50 and less than 2 weeks I had my lens full refurbished and back to shooting. I count that as good service.

thats what i hope that they will fix it under the warranty...i was all set to buy a new one soon.. and eventually sell this one.. now i might have to pay more..mine does not move at all.. totally jammed... thanks for input...

I can't speak for the warranty as I have not needed it. I do have a 24-70 that took a rock (from a helicopter) to the front lens, I kept using it. Then a few months later I dropped it and it quit focusing. Less then $50 and less than 2 weeks I had my lens full refurbished and back to shooting. I count that as good service.
wow yes.. that was very good service.. i can only hope...

i find out friday... whether or not it is under warranty for this problem...... fingers x

Nice to see they honored their warranty. Looking forward to it's use again :)
thank you... i always thought from day one that there was a problem with it so i will be happy if they fixed it to perfection...

Good news on your lens, I had problems with my canon 70 200 f4 non is l series.
I used to pack it away with it still on af not m seems the pressure on the lens in the bag with the lens locked in AF was the cause of the problems.. since then I always pack any lens away in M mode. Touch wood no problems since

Good news on your lens, I had problems with my canon 70 200 f4 non is l series.
I used to pack it away with it still on af not m seems the pressure on the lens in the bag with the lens locked in AF was the cause of the problems.. since then I always pack any lens away in M mode. Touch wood no problems since
wow this is good to know.. never thought of this... thanks

No problems. I did not know, my back pack layout means that lens shift to the bottom of their section and if front down puts pressure on the zoom/focus. I was lucky,
I know there is much debate on using uv filters, I do and last week I was photographing the Fox. In my haste to get a shot I planted three fingers on the front of the lens arrrugh
Big oily finger prints (oily skin in hot weather)
Changed the uv filter it was cheaper than new l glass

my fingers are not oily ...a bit dry actually but some how someway they always manage to change the dials i have set.. just as i am about to shoot.. i rub passed the one dial that can change everything..lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back