My new purchase.

FSowers

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I hope I didn't screw up, but I bought this today on Amazon.

Did I do okay with my choice for a first time Digital SLR?

"Nikon D3000 10MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens & 55-200mm DX Zoom Lens with 16GB Card + (2x) EN-EL9a Battery + UV Filters + Cleaning Kit"

Not a bad choice! Depends on the price you got the kit for. Other than that, it's an OK package.

Just a few days ago, Nikon announced an upgrade of the D3000, the D3100. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-D3100-Digital-18-55mm-3-5-5-6/dp/B003ZYF3LO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1283027112&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Nikon D3100 14.2MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens: Electronics[/ame]

The D3100 has a 14 MP CMOS image sensor, compared to the D3000's 10 MP CCD image sensor. The MP count isn't real imoportant, but the D3100's CMOS sensor will give better low-light performance, but will still be borderline in low light with the 2 kit lenses, 18-55 and 55-200.

The D3100 won't start shipping till next month sometime.

The D3000 is still a nice camera to start with. IMO, the UV filters are useless.

You could certainly do far worse. It lacks some key features, but is capable of doing some real nice shots so like others have said it depends on what you paid for it. Plus the 3100 will be out very soon, you may want to return it and use the cash to pre order it instead.

The price of the new 3100 is more than I paid for the whole bundle, so I guess I will begin with it and see how that does.

It is mainly for taking shots of the grandkids and such.

Thanks for the help.

If you bought it from Cameta through Amazon, you did well, price-wise. For your purposes, you may consider an accessory flash at some point in the future. Excellent kit...congrats, and enjoy the grandkids!!!

I agree, sounds like you got a great deal. Congrats and I hope you enjoy it. Post pics soon:wink:

The only thing I'd like to add is that you can fit A LOT of pictures on a 16 gig card. Consider copying your files to a computer frequently...well before the card is full. A 16 gig card makes for a mighty large basket that can hold a lot of eggs, if you know what I mean; it would be a shame if something bad happened to a card with 6 months worth of grand child pictures. Just download regularly, and you should be fine. Same logic applies for a card of any size, but the higher the capacity, the larger the potential loss.

I also back up my important photo's to DVD+R. I can be lazy about this sometimes and I just paid the price for it when I lost a bunch of photos, about 3 years worth. So don't be lazy like I was. I use 4GB Lexar Pro cards I highly recomend these as there also the perfect size to store on a DVDs. 1 Card 1 Disk

Thanks for all the great advice guys. I will make sure I download them to the computer often.

I never thought about putting them on DVD+R.

I can hardly wait to get my hands on this camera, it took me about a year to finally work up the nerve to buy one.

I can hardly wait to get my hands on this camera, it took me about a year to finally work up the nerve to buy one.

I know the feeling...it's a sizable outlay of cash, especially for a beginner. Be sure to get your money's worth and play with the exposure settings (don't just leave it in fully automatic mode). After all, that's a big part of what separates dSLRs from point-and-shoot cameras.

I will be bugging y'all to death...............:) after I get it.

I will definitely be playing, I have already purchased all The How to Books by Mr. Peterson.
Read all cover to cover, all I need now is my camera and the books together.

Thanks so very much for all the help so far.

Okay, my new camera came in today, I am waiting on the battery to charge............
I am so scared to even touch this thing.

Keep your fingers crossed for me.

I am going to play tomorrow and take way to many pictures. I will post some, when I feel
that they are worthy.

Thanks for the help so far.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back