My next lens

RockstarPhotography

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all, I'm looking for some advice on my next lens purchase. First, a rundown of what I have.

d200 body
50mm 1.8
18-55 3.5-5.6
28-80 3.3-5.6
70-210 4-5.6 D

What I'm looking for:

I shoot mostly portraits (90%) both in studio and on location with the rest being low light situations
I do need AF, but speed doesn't really matter.
I don't need a zoom lens, prime is fine, but If I can find a zoom with good optics at 2.8 I'm all for it.
I need a lens that stops down to at least 2.8 and is sharp at 2.8 (whats the point of a 2.8 lens if you can't use it there?)
I don't care if its nikon or 3rd party
I should mention I have a small studio.

basically I need something 2.8 that is sharp and good for portraits. I would like to find something in the 350-400 range, but I could swing up to 500 if I had to. (just be eating roman for a couple weeks)

I used to shoot most all my portraits at 200mm, although lately i've been shooting at 18mm so I'm torn,

What I'm considering:

Nikon 85mm 1.8
Nikon 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF AF
Nikon 35-70 2.8
Tamron 17-50 2.8
tamron 28-75 2.8
tokina 80-200
I hope I gave enouph info, I'm leaning toward the 17-50 but not sure of the optics, I know I can't go wrong with the 85, but its a focal length I just don't use often (of course I didn't shoot much at 50 untill I got my prime, not it doesn't leave the camera unless I'm shooting at 18)

Did I read correctly that you are doing portraits at 18mm ?

^^ I 2nd the 85//1.8 AF-D lens. I like mine.

Yeah, the 85mm is wonderful for portrait work. It may be a bit long for studio work (especially on a crop body), but will be great for studio headshots and on location work. I have the 85 1.8G and absolutely love it, but have also heard the D version is just as wonderful.

Cheers!
Jake

Also, I had the 17-50 for my crop sensor camera, and while its a wonderful lens, it's not for portrait work. I'd rather have the 85 and no other lenses than the 17-50 and a 50 prime etc.

Did I read correctly that you are doing portraits at 18mm ?

^^ I 2nd the 85//1.8 AF-D lens. I like mine.
Yup. But mostly for the effect using really low, or really high, angles. Not as a "typical" portrait lens for that I'm using the 50

So I decided to go with the 85mm 1.8. Got on ebay and started searching, ended up with an nikon 80-200 2.8 instead. Couldn't resist with a buy it now price of 150 bucks. The posting said that the lens focus was sticky and because of that the af doesn't work but I'm taking a chance that I can just get it cleaned and it will be ok.

Reactions: Ido

Most reactions

New Topics

Back