My niece

lbowser

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Working on getting the eyes, not happy with cropping or much else here but she's too beautiful :)

Attachments

• $image-1162870757.jpg
    $image-1162870757.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 57
  • $image-2547282091.jpg
    $image-2547282091.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 61
Of this two I prefer colour. It has better compo IMO and more character. Maybe only the light below the eyes line is a bit to harsh.
In b&w seems like the crop is too tight.

Generally, unless the lighting is so good that the fine quality of the skin becomes a positive element, I think that most ultra closeups of babies don't work well. There aren't enough distinctive characteristics in most baby faces to hold a picture. In both of these pictures large areas of the skin are devoid of texture and there isn't any context to make it a good picture.
I think these are family memory pictures.

. I think these are family memory pictures.

I definitely agree, was mostly working on focus in the eyes in these in particular, knew they were nothing that special (except to family!) thank you for the feedback in the skin I appreciate it and will apply that to future portrait, etc. pictures :)

Thank again all!
Laura

Next time you are shooting faces tight like that try to get the eye on the opposite side so it's not on the edge of the face (so the face is slightly turned towards you a little bit more), leave a little room for the face next to the eye. It is a more pleasing and classic portraiture look than an eyeball hanging out in space.

It's been a while since I referred to this great set of lessons, it's old but very useful ... http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/articles-interest/268210-guide-classic-portraiture.html

Next time you are shooting faces tight like that try to get the eye on the opposite side so it's not on the edge of the face (so the face is slightly turned towards you a little bit more), leave a little room for the face next to the eye. It is a more pleasing and classic portraiture look than an eyeball hanging out in space. It's been a while since I referred to this great set of lessons, it's old but very useful ... http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/articles-interest/268210-guide-classic-portraiture.html

Thank you Tony I will definitely look at the lessons!! :)

Most reactions

Back