my only attempt of street photography

Pukka312

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.uniquexpressionsphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, so lets ignore the fact that I took this shot before I even knew how to shoot in manual mode, so the exposure is all on the camera here. I'm mostly interested in the opinions of the overall feeling of the shot, and the composition. This was my one and only attempt at street photography...mostly because I am simply too shy to approach strangers and feel bad taking photos without consent. The dichotomy of the scene was just so powerful to me at the time that I did approach and ask permission to take the shot (correction: I asked the one that was awake. I let the sleeping man lie).

I guess I'm just curious if it grabs anyone else's attention. My husband said he just "didn't get it." So, it kind of threw me off of the whole street photography genre. Feel free to offer any CC because if there's anything I could have done differently, I'd love to hear it. I still have a soft spot for the shot, so just felt like throwing it out there

$2 men on a benchweb.jpg

IMO, the picture is good but it isn't finished yet.
The bright background pulls my eye at every point and, while the important parts are very subdued in color, the background is green.
There are two things that pull the eye bright light and bright color.
In this photo, the bright lights and bright color diffuse all the impact.

Post a larger version and allow editing and I can show you what I mean.

IMO, the picture is good but it isn't finished yet.
The bright background pulls my eye at every point and, while the important parts are very subdued in color, the background is green.
There are two things that pull the eye bright light and bright color.
In this photo, the bright lights and bright color diffuse all the impact.

Post a larger version and allow editing and I can show you what I mean.

Wish I could. 3rd world country Internet connections here just about die when you try to upload anything remotely large in file size. I get what you're saying regarding the bright light ...I certainly don't even recall if I edited this pic. It may be SOOC...it's been 2 years I think since I shot this. I could probably play around and try to tweak it in photoshop. It sucks because this is way before I started shooting RAW. It'd be nice to play with the RAW file.

I see what you are trying to convey, but IMO this is not successful. The biggest reason is because we can see this scene any day of the week in any country in the world.

To be even occasionally successful at this type of photography is to find the pictures that nobody else has noticed.

Clearly it would be better from a larger image but this is the idea.
I would control the background density so that the black man's head would stand out better against the leaves but this gives the idea.

[I
MG]
2-men-on-a-benchweblll.jpg
[/IMG]

I see what you are trying to convey, but IMO this is not successful. The biggest reason is because we can see this scene any day of the week in any country in the world.

To be even occasionally successful at this type of photography is to find the pictures that nobody else has noticed.

I think I have a good opportunity to go for that challenge. I'm in Tanzania right now, which gives me ample opportunity to shoot scenes that are definitely outside the realm of everyday life... I'll see what I can come up with :)

Most reactions

Back