My Pet Peeve

Trever1t

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
wsgphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
How to put this in Politically Correct language.... Pro photographers who suck.

OK that's not very PC is it? How about people charging for photography who haven't invested any time in understanding the craft. Who feel they should be charging but don't know what aperture is. I had to help a young Pro shooter not too long ago figure out how to set aperture on her basic Canon camera, and I shoot Nikon...it wasn't that hard to figure out.

I know this has been brought up before but I felt like a rant.

You know, I don't charge for my photography anymore...I turn down paying jobs every day. I only shoot for my pleasure and I only shoot what and who I want.

I know there's a market for very good, good and even mediocre shooters but damn, it still makes me wince. If you suck and you charge, at least be humble! :D

I agree 100% but you forgot the """ and """ around "Pro"! A month or so back I drove by a "pro" shooting a wedding party of probably six or seven strongly backlit by a low sun, and trying to use a small (~36") 5 in 1 reflector and nothing else. I hope that worked out for her! :lol:

OK that's not very PC is it? How about people charging for photography who haven't invested any time in understanding the craft. Who feel they should be charging but don't know what aperture is. I had to help a young Pro shooter not too long ago figure out how to set aperture on her basic Canon camera, and I shoot Nikon...it wasn't that hard to figure out.

You know, I don't charge for my photography anymore...I turn down paying jobs every day. I only shoot for my pleasure and I only shoot what and who I want.

I know there's a market for very good, good and even mediocre shooters but damn, it still makes me wince. If you suck and you charge, at least be humble! :D

Hell, if I shot who you shoot, I'd be in heaven and nothing else would matter! :biglaugh: Jealousy mixed with a pinch of hatorade :)
Thankful that you share! :wav::Hail.sml:

I am happy to place a good portion of the blame on the customers. If people are willing to pay money for mediocre "art" then they deserve the crap they get.

And the not-very-good "pros" are bolstered in their arrogance and inflated sense of self-worth.

I see it in all genres of art. Public art is purchased by ignorant art committees and the vast majority of people don't know the difference between good and bad art, so nobody complains.

.. a "pro" shooting a wedding party of probably six or seven strongly backlit ..
Yup, I've seen the same thing. She made all of her shots of the wedding party against the setting sun, and no flash.

But she is the pro, so everybody was happy with her photos.

I am happy to place a good portion of the blame on the customers. If people are willing to pay money for mediocre "art" then they deserve the crap they get.

And the not-very-good "pros" are bolstered in their arrogance and inflated sense of self-worth.

I see it in all genres of art. Public art is purchased by ignorant art committees and the vast majority of people don't know the difference between good and bad art, so nobody complains.

yes, I totally agree but I also wonder about people with over inflated self-worth and ego. As an 'artist' or photographer I never feel I am good enough. I suppose it's what drives me to try new things, improve with every session. I like some of my work enough to look at it and think to myself that I did a good job but I look at other's work and bow down with humility at my lack of skill set.

yes, I totally agree but I also wonder about people with over inflated self-worth and ego.
I've seen plenty of those people too. Even without being "proven" their attitude puts them "above" the pedestrian variety of artists (like me). That air of superiority actually helps "sell" their art to the ignorant customers.

I've often thought to myself: "Self; why can't you be more confident and arrogant, like that guy?" "Your stuff is at least as good, if not better, so why can't you be more like him?" "All it would take is a snotty attitude, and the bucks and adulation will flood in!"

Then I realized that I'm not cut of that cloth, so I let it go.

As an 'artist' or photographer I never feel I am good enough. I suppose it's what drives me to try new things, improve with every session. I like some of my work enough to look at it and think to myself that I did a good job but I look at other's work and bow down with humility at my lack of skill set.

I think this is what sets you and a lot of us from the rest.

yes, I totally agree but I also wonder about people with over inflated self-worth and ego. As an 'artist' or photographer I never feel I am good enough. I suppose it's what drives me to try new things, improve with every session. I like some of my work enough to look at it and think to myself that I did a good job but I look at other's work and bow down with humility at my lack of skill set.

I think the issue is that these "pros" are not really artists like yourself. Rather, they are someone with a nice camera and enough compliments from friends and family to feel confident enough that they are comfortable with their work.

I agree 100% but you forgot the """ and """ around "Pro"! A month or so back I drove by a "pro" shooting a wedding party of probably six or seven strongly backlit by a low sun, and trying to use a small (~36") 5 in 1 reflector and nothing else. I hope that worked out for her! :lol:

Well if you were a "Pro" you would have known that she was going to contort that reflector until she had beaming rays of setting sunlight on every single one of them. On the other hand she may of just lit each one individually on separate frames and fixed it in post. Yeah, that's it. :D

You should have done her a favor and threw that Canon in the closest garbage can and told her Canon's don't do things like that and she should have bought a Nikon from the start if she wanted to be "Pro". :headbang:

You should have done her a favor and threw that Canon in the closest garbage can and told her Canon's don't do things like that and she should have bought a Nikon from the start if she wanted to be "Pro". :headbang:

she was really really cute and I was hoping to get her in her undies.

she was really really cute and I was hoping to get her in her undies.

Good point. Noted and written in my exposure book.

Well if you were a "Pro" you would have known that she was going to contort that reflector until she had beaming rays of setting sunlight on every single one of them. On the other hand she may of just lit each one individually on separate frames and fixed it in post. Yeah, that's it. :D

I think the problem is they passed by too quickly and didn't see the part where she was passing out tinfoil hats to everyone in the wedding party.

Watch it, rookie. :76:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back