My photos are NOT OK to edit.

i guess my feeling on this, is that, if people want to edit your photos , they will whether you say its ok or not.... its going to stop them from reposting it, but not from editing it... I dont care if people edit my photos, because as long as i have the original file, i dont feel like it matters all that much what they do with the version i posted here, becasue in the end, i still have my photo and someone elses' edit doesnt effect me in any way.

I have marked that my photos are not ok to edit, My reasoning for this is the fact that nine out of ten pics I take have a spefic purpose to me, as well as an "in the event I put any here" bit (I have one online gallery and that is enough for now).

I am an auto body technition and I take a lot of automotive pictures. It would have a negitive impact on my portfolio if there are a hand full of images in there that can be found edited else where. Even if the manip is well done a duplicate or image based on the image I am using would serve only to discredit my portfoilo. So I dissalow it for all my photography.

Truth be told my artistic expression stuff needs a lot of work to the point I don't think any one would touch it any who.

Why would anyone in their right mind come to this place to cop edited images. Why not just go to one of the thousands of websites and just lift them from the artist.

Unless of course the edited image was actually better than the original.... Never happen...

besides nobody really wants to learn anyway we just pay lipservice to that concept ... Don't we? We know it all already why bother.

I must warn you though, someone helped you to be where you are, no matter where that is, Karma has a way of coming around.

Thought about this - I don't really mind others editing my photos. Trouble is, there isn't a "My photos are only OK to edit if you tell me why you did what you did, why you consider it better, and exactly HOW you did it" option.... so without all those points, simply editing one of my images doesn't teach me anything about techniques, or even about peoples tastes.

Just a point of view

Thought about this - I don't really mind others editing my photos. Trouble is, there isn't a "My photos are only OK to edit if you tell me why you did what you did, why you consider it better, and exactly HOW you did it" option.... so without all those points, simply editing one of my images doesn't teach me anything about techniques, or even about peoples tastes.

Just a point of view

I would think if they took the time to edit it and you liked what or even part of it, I'd say that if you posted a request for clerification they would do it. If for no other reason than to show they did have a reason to do it.

You know I have heard that said, but so far I haven't personally experienced someone just sticking up an edited picture. I edited this post without a long drawnout explaination because it didn't need one.... http://thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=888541#post888541

I edited another where I gave a long explaination of leading lines.... can't fine it right now. Edited one with where I changed the color of print to (I thought) better mimick a oxidized copper or bronze statue and remove some flash glared. The person reedited by adding a loco, so much for my thinking, but that's okay. He was exposed to a different set of ideas and so was anyone esle who looked at it.

I do a lot of composition editing when people ask, because I tend to compose more classic and most of the people here compose modern funky. Sometimes it's good to see what your funky shot looks like classical. You can reject it of course. Most folks likely do.

What exactly did it hurt to see it. If your shot is better than someone else's edit, trust me everyone will know it. If not YOU get to decide whether you want to change the way you shoot in the future. See it isn't about that shot it's about knowing there is another way.

Soapbox closed for the afternoon.

Actually, mine are fine to edit. What I think of people who choose "NOT OK":

3. They are old, or unwilling to learn.

5. They hate photoshop.quote]

Nope! Definitely not the case. :mrgreen: I have more photographic experience than probably anyone here which unfortunately relates to age. However, I have two digital cameras, have taught computer animation, and am quite skilled with Photoshop.

So don't relate old and unwilling to learn in the same sentence. :wink: :wink:

skieur

Well in response to the above.... I don't know nothin' bout no damn photoshop and I only been in the business professionally since 1969... and mine have been okay to edit since day one.... Kinda goes against the thinking that started this thread.

It's more about what's in your head and how you view your work and the craft in general, than it is about age and knowledge. I don't know how I viewed the work at thirty cause nobody asked me about it then. There was no decission to make. People voted with thier check book and critique just wasn't availble except by maybe one friend. So this is all new to me. I suppose someone just starting would take this for granted though.

wow, you make this your first post ;) welcome to the forum anyway. be careful though, the forum is infested by bananas!

anyway, why not make your second post in the welcomes&intro section :)

Bananas are evil. They are the spawn of the devil.
sorry. My images are ok to edit, because anything done to them will make them better:er:

What about people who are professionals and don't want to worry about people altering their photos and then claiming they had some sort of artistic involvement and deserve a portion of the sales?

And what about people who are uncomfortable with the thought of others messing with a photo's flow? If I was a painter looking for advice, I wouldn't want my art teacher to come along and put brush strokes on my canvas, showing me what to do. Some view a photograph as a work of art, one that speaks volumes emotionally. To have someone else alter it is like undermining the whole process, cause that person doesn't truly understand the photo. Someone photoshopped a picture I made once, but after they did, I didn't feel right claiming it was my photo, cause in truth, it no longer was. So that's a reason also

There are many reasons to want your photos to stay yours. Art is a very intimate, personal discovery of the human psyche (for some), and having others chime in once in a while sometimes leaves a bad taste in one's mouth.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back