Not open for further replies.

Life

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.holthausphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone. I have a 500px.com portfolio: Benjamin Holthaus If you could all kindly go and check it out and review it that would be great, thanks!
I also have a website but it is not finished yet. I'm still troubled with how I will post the photos.. Thanks everyone for opinions in advance! :)

You're not getting comments, because you're not posting photos.

Post individual photos and you'll start getting comments. :sexywink:

Click the link -_- You know, the colored "Benjamin Holthaus" is a link lol. And I asked kindly to have the entire portfolio rated, not only the photos, because how they are presented is also very important. Thanks

Click the link -_- You know, the colored "Benjamin Holthaus" is a link lol.

orly2.jpg

I had no idea! :greenpbl:

And I asked kindly to have the entire portfolio rated, not only the photos, because how they are presented is also very important. Thanks

Your portfolio is all over the place. There's not really any consistency except for the flower stuff. That's not to say that the images are bad or anything, it just doesn't give me a real sense of what you do.

ALSO... my statement of how you're not getting responses, because you didn't post photos still stands. :greenpbl: :lol:

Hahahhaha.

O rly.

I laugh out loud at that!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was a little put off by the religious aspect of the home page. Seems unnecessary. And the macro stuff is nice... I guess... I'm not really into that so I'm not much of a judge. The reaction I got from the other gallery was... Is everything centered? You need to work on making your compositions a bit more dynamic.

My 2 cents.

people here don't like looking at webpages.

If you want C&C normally you have to post those specific photos here .. especially if you want really critical C&C

I zoomed through it but I wasn't really liking the "layout" of the photos .. of lack there of. The overlay that covers the lower half is really annoying.

I only recall one photo off the top of my head ... some barn .. kinda far away .. with electrical lines at the top of the photo. Needs to be cropped and made interesting.

Click the link -_- You know, the colored "Benjamin Holthaus" is a link lol. And I asked kindly to have the entire portfolio rated, not only the photos, because how they are presented is also very important. Thanks
A link you say. hmm.. like sausage?

Sent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk

I was a little put off by the religious aspect of the home page. Seems unnecessary. And the macro stuff is nice... I guess... I'm not really into that so I'm not much of a judge. The reaction I got from the other gallery was... Is everything centered? You need to work on making your compositions a bit more dynamic.

My 2 cents.
Religious aspect is very necessary ;) More dynamic, hmm... I'm not sure what you mean? Because I make sure all my photos abide by the "rule of thirds".. Can you explain more please? thanks.

@e.rose, if you knew to click the link then why did you post the not so thought out response... And I can't post photos, so maybe before insisting and blurting it out you could maybe ask if I could do it.. thanks. And what do you mean by all over the place? A portfolio from what i've understood is that you only have the images that you think pop out most? Like it's only there to show a variety. That's what I know anyways, so if you could explain what you mean better that'd be nice, thanks.

My 2 cents.
Religious aspect is very necessary ;) More dynamic, hmm... I'm not sure what you mean? Because I make sure all my photos abide by the "rule of thirds".. Can you explain more please? thanks.

@e.rose, if you knew to click the link then why did you post the not so thought out response...

Because I had no intention of responding with a thought out response, because there are too many photos to critique individually, and I didn't really have any valuable specific feedback to add to your site other than "It's all over the place". Which I then stated. Because you demanded a response about your portfolio.

And I can't post photos, so maybe before insisting and blurting it out you could maybe ask if I could do it.. thanks.

Ask if you could do what?

Post individual photos?

I think I did:

You're not getting comments, because you're not posting photos.

Post individual photos and you'll start getting comments. :sexywink:

If I put it in the form of a question, would that help?

"Hey... Life... could you post some photos so that we can give you comments?"

:greenpbl:

Also, if you're offended by my very non-offensive remark, telling you exactly why you weren't getting comments, you better hold onto your hat. Because there are TONS of intentionally offensive people here. :lol:

I told you And what do you mean by all over the place? A portfolio from what i've understood is that you only have the images that you think pop out most? Like it's only there to show a variety. That's what I know anyways, so if you could explain what you mean better that'd be nice, thanks.

A portfolio is meant to show your best work... and variety, sure but not necessarily stuff as varying as yours.

For example...

My best friend here is a commercial photographer.

He shoots weddings, engagements, portraits and head shots as well, but if you go to his website *ALL* you see in his portfolio are commercial-type photos. Bands and models.

That's what he wants to shoot, that's how he wants to represent himself, so that's what he shows, and only what he shows.

To randomly throw in the weddings and engagement sessions would confuse his "brand" and his portfolio.

There *are* people who have a few specialties, but even then, their portfolios are separated by genre.

There's usually a wedding gallery, an portrait gallery, an engagement gallery, a maternity gallery, etc. It's not just one gallery with all that stuff thrown together.

Now those are admittedly more extreme examples than what I'm referring to for you, however, "Landscapes and everything else" is not a good way to display your landscapes... OR your everything else (which in my opinion your portfolio can do without. The everything else, I mean).

The things in that gallery are so random and unrelated, it doesn't at all demonstrate who you are as a photographer, or what you do.

The whole layout of your portfolio in general is confused, cluttered... and all over the place. I don't know how else to put it. :lol:

And *why* can't you post photos? You have 91 posts... that's well beyond what is required of new TPF members.

Do you just not know how? You can always ask, you know. :sexywink:

You'd do well to pay heed to some of the advice posted, especially e.Rose's; she's a very skilled and knowledgeable poster, and spot on with her comments about posting images vice links.

FWIW, I did have a look at your portfolio, and IMO, while there are a few nice images, most have basic compositional flaws and/or exposure issues. If you want truly meaningful critique post 1-4 of your best images in a new thread, and you will get lots of good responses.

I'm not sure what you mean? Because I make sure all my photos abide by the "rule of thirds".. Can you explain more please? thanks.

Do some research on composition and you'll see that there is more than the rule of thirds.. :)

Let's all rip a 15 year old kid a new one, shall we?

"Srsly" and "o rly?" notwithstanding... why not cut the boy some slack???? And back off on the anti-religion advice too. His beliefs and his faith are NOBODY's business here on TPF.

You're doing fine kid. Keep working on your craft. You'll get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back