My Somewhat Late intro....

painterskip

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.skipdyrda.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Story of my life....a day late and a dollar short:) I've posted in the forum maybe a dozen and a half times or so and never posted here...so here I am.

Me...I'm a full time artist. Mostly a muralist, and have been for about 19 years. But I also do quite a lot of graphic design. Couldn't live without Photoshop...(you can see that in my photos). I also do some sculpture and even make stage props for dance studio my daughter attends. And that's kind of what got me back into photography. I was always an artist and also interested in photography. So many, many years ago, I did that little league sports photo stuff for awhile....using a Minolta XE7 and various lenses. Shot a few weddings but that was too stressful:) Then only shot for fun, until a few years ago when I agreed to shoot the 'studio photos' at the dance studio. I wasn't crazy about what the previous 'pros' provided and jumped in... And actually, as much as I really love doing that, including shooting photos at dance competitions, I enjoy the post editing even more. Well...some of it....not so much when I have to edit 3000 photos because I screwed up:)

So while I'm still a full time muralist and graphic designer, I also consider myself a photographer.

I just uploaded a sampling of my photos to the member galleries. Blast away;-)

Welcome to the site.

Welcome to TPF. My father gave me my first camera about 13 years ago, it was an XE7.

Excited to see some of your work

Thanks for the welcomes. I gave my XE7 to my own kid several years ago. I don't think he ever used it....now he has a nice Nikon and doesn't know how to use that:)
I uploaded several images to the members gallery. Still not sure how that works in terms of 'sharing' with the group here....other than...they are there:)
I have a SmugMug Pro site. And my art-related sites which I haven't updated in way too long....I'm talking a couple years (it's the shoemakers daughter has no shoes syndrome:)). I'll paste those links below, but I t hink you can see only a few of my photos on the SmugMug site. The reason is that the vast majority of the photos there are of the kids that dance with my daughter at the dance studio. So I felt I should password protect the galleries.....since they are young kids. I not sure if that's the right thing to do, or not. Some photographers do that and some leave their galleries wide open.
But there are a few samples to see, and I may add a few more. I wish I could share the last shoot I did....they turned out really well.

painterskip's Photos
The Skip Dyrda web site
emurals.com home

Welcome to the site, and of course it's never to late to stop in here and do an intro! :D We're glad you're here.

Sounds like you have an interesting career - not too many of us can pay the bills as artists. Good for you! :thumbup: I'm happy you've found our Gallery section, too - I look forward to seeing your work. Keep on posting and enjoying the forum!

Thanks, Terri. And yes...I've had an interesting career. And it's not over:) I just kind of evolve from one thing to another and then back again. And while I have been able to pay the bills, it's been quite a ride, especially the last few years. Still, as an artist, whether it be a muralist, designer or photographer, it's kind of nice to be able to 'leave your mark' on the world.

I checked out your web site. Cool stuff. Very cool. Your bike shop photo reminds me a lot of the photogrpahers they called "The Pictorialists"...Alfred Steiglitz and in particular, Alfred Fassbender. I have 6 or 7 of Fassbenders photos, but they are small prints made a note cards. They're signed though. Nice work. (your stuff)

And thanks for the welcome.

Awesome! Welcome to TPF! I hope you get the chance to sample the Thursday TPF CHef's Special Lunch over in Photographic Discussions every Thursday from 11 AM (Pacific) to 4 PM (Pacific time). Only $6.99 for the full plate meal, with beverages only $1.00!

Thanks, Terri. And yes...I've had an interesting career. And it's not over:) I just kind of evolve from one thing to another and then back again. And while I have been able to pay the bills, it's been quite a ride, especially the last few years. Still, as an artist, whether it be a muralist, designer or photographer, it's kind of nice to be able to 'leave your mark' on the world.

I checked out your web site. Cool stuff. Very cool. Your bike shop photo reminds me a lot of the photogrpahers they called "The Pictorialists"...Alfred Steiglitz and in particular, Alfred Fassbender. I have 6 or 7 of Fassbenders photos, but they are small prints made a note cards. They're signed though. Nice work. (your stuff)

And thanks for the welcome.

You are very welcome! Thanks for the kind words...I practice what is called "alternative photographic techniques", meaning I only shoot film, develop it and make my own prints at home, and then go from there. ;) So the prints do each have a distinctive look to them, I suppose.

I meant to comment (but forgot) earlier - I love your "red string" series. Imaginative, and formulated from such a lovely old proverb. :) Way cool.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Thanks for all the welcomes. Much appreciated.

Re my 'red string'. I started that almost 20 years ago in my murals and have since started including it in some of my other work, like the photos in my gallery.
The reason....kinda long story, but it started out as a purely technical reason....to show depth on receding planes and red attracts your eye first. The quote came later when I started creating what I called my 'Red String Names', which are PhotoShop designs of someones name, wrapped in a red string, and most importantly, personalized in some way.

Most reactions

Back