My Son

Raizahblade

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Please C&C this pic that I took this weekend. Being a newb there may be some things that I could do better and not know better! Thanks!

Attachments

• $image-3766173686.jpg
    $image-3766173686.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 86
:love: He is adorable.

What color eyes does he have? Cute kid! :)

Sorry,

This is a 'family' picture, meaning that your family and friends will love it because they love your child but it doesn't have much of anything for appreciation as a photograph.

I understand that but C&C is worthless without constructive criticism instead of just criticism. I want to develop some sort of photographic identity. So some ideas would be nice. Thanks!

@HL45. Thanks! He has brown eyes.
constructive criticism, I'd like to see his eyes in the photo. ;)
What camera and lens are you using?
Maybe post 3 to 4 as a set if you have them?

I understand that but C&C is worthless without constructive criticism instead of just criticism. I want to develop some sort of photographic identity. So some ideas would be nice. Thanks!

You can't see his face.
It's not particularly sharp.
The light is flat.
A hand appears out of nowhere and grabs his wrist but all the fingers are chopped off.
the background is brighter than any of the important things
You have 'saved for web' so all the EXIF are stripped out of the photo.
You've saved it at 95% quality so the file is huge when 35 or 40% quality would be adequate for a screen shot.

Look at other pictures where people are purposefully trying to compose.
Read a bit about composition.

I don't have a set. I was at the park and thought it would be a good opportunity to practice and play with setting to get to know my camera. I shot what I thought would be a cute picture of him looking down. I have the kit lens that came with my camera (18-135mm).

Last edited:

You can't see his face.
The light is flat.
A hand appears out of nowhere and grabs his wrist but all the fingers are chopped off.
You've saved it at 95% quality so the file is huge when 35 or 40% quality would be adequate for a screen shot.

Thank you for this criticism. Even though I caveated that I was a newb, I appreciate the direct (straight forward) criticism. The blurriness of his face is probably attributed to the lack of skill of post processing as is probably the reason why stuff in the background is brighter than the subject. The light I used was just daylight and I am not skilled yet in determining good lighting. As far as the EXIF info, I uploaded this from a mobile app on my phone and did not know that the information would be stripped (Again another noob mistake). Starting this day, I went in with the idea that I was extremely poor at composition. This is something that difficult for me but with the help from you guys and some further research will get better.

As with anything everyone has to start somewhere and this is where I am. I will get better, it will take practice and probably a few years of shoot for me to become average at best. You will see more crappy shots from me and I will continue to grow as a photographer but I am no fool and I understand that this will take time! :D

I don't have a set. I was at the park and thought it would be a good opportunity to practice and play with setting to get to know my camera. I shot what I thought would be a cute picture of him looking down. I have the kit lens that came with my camera (18-135mm).
Cute kid and cute picture. Don't be afraid to click the shutter button. How many images does the card hold? Take multiple shots at the given opportunity.
Hope that helps. :)
What camera do you have body goes with the 18-135?

You can't see his face.
The light is flat.

Pretty snarky comment to a newbie that is rather clueless...don't you think?

You can't see his face.
The light is flat.

Pretty snarky comment to a newbie that is rather clueless...don't you think?

No, it wasn't. At all. It was honest and to the point and exactly what she asked for.

You can't see his face.
The light is flat.

Thank you for this criticism. Even though I caveated that I was a newb, I appreciate the direct (straight forward) criticism. The blurriness of his face is probably attributed to the lack of skill of post processing as is probably the reason why stuff in the background is brighter than the subject. The light I used was just daylight and I am not skilled yet in determining good lighting. As far as the EXIF info, I uploaded this from a mobile app on my phone and did not know that the information would be stripped (Again another noob mistake). Starting this day, I went in with the idea that I was extremely poor at composition. This is something that difficult for me but with the help from you guys and some further research will get better.

As with anything everyone has to start somewhere and this is where I am. I will get better, it will take practice and probably a few years of shoot for me to become average at best. You will see more crappy shots from me and I will continue to grow as a photographer but I am no fool and I understand that this will take time! :D

With this attitude you will go very far. :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back