My Wife, Meghann. C&C

eric-holmes

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is my first time taking any kind of portrait. I don't have any flash except the pop up and I never use it. We just had to work with what we had.

Meghann-1.jpg

Lovely Wife and nice composition. On camera flash rarely does anything good for a photo. To get a little more light into the eyes without a flash, buy yourself a cheap reflector, you will be surprised by the results you can get.

Thanks for your comments. I will try to look into getting a reflector. I am also looking at getting an SB-600.

She's beautiful! I wish she had some catchlights and also recommend the foam core reflector...it's a LOT cheaper than any flash! =)

I think the key to natural light photography is having your subject positioned to where they become the brightest part of what you're framing. This will separate them from the background and make them stand out more.

On this shot I think her hair is casting a slight shadow on her face so I would've positioned her where she was facing the light source(sun, bulb...what have you). You can also get the same results with a reflector but I know how it can get tough holding a reflector and shooting at the same time if you are on your own. So what I do I meter the subject and meter the background just to check if my subject is the brightest - I then position accordingly. Then I spot check the subject if their exposure ratios are even...if they are then I shoot.

I upped the exposure a little bit and brightened the eyes on this version which you can easily achieve in SOOC ;). It's crazy just how all the details came out by increasing the exposure. It's a matter of positioning in Natural Light that's the trick

4103812196_1473c0139e_o.jpg

Last edited:
I think you did just fine with equipment you have.
Some will say to put more highlight in the eyes. My thinking is that you captured the personality, and the beauty of your subject/wife. Soft, not harsh is good.
Reflector/flash/whatever would have made a different type of picture, not necessarily better.

I love the way you lightened her eyes. Now they look exactly like hers. How did you do it? I use elements 8. I can't find the dodge/burn tool. All I have is a sponge tool?

catch lights :spank: WHERE ARE THEY!?
It is a VERY good pic but it is lacking this "kick:sexywink:" in it.

I love the way you lightened her eyes. Now they look exactly like hers. How did you do it? I use elements 8. I can't find the dodge/burn tool. All I have is a sponge tool?

In ACR I just masked her eyes and upped the brightness and I think I upped the overall exposure about a stop.

Try clicking on the icon for the sponge tool and holding the mouse button down. It should give you dodge and burn options, too.

Can we edit those in? Lol

Pugs, Thanks so much for your time. I think I may like your first edit better. It seems more natural. Thanks for everyone's comments.

sorry eric, the catchlights in the last photo are shown as from a very strong light source while the effect of the face is soft, which cud suit to a reflector only.....therefore i feel the reflector a necessity. ask someone to hold or if alone position beside the camera and check the effects...

a wonderful portrait with fine positioning.

Most reactions

Back