Some very nice shots. I agree with Scraig that more lens would help. I also use a Sigma 150-500 and feel limited at times. The other option, which you seem to be good at is patience. Well done and good luck!
I'm in the lower mainland of BC. You can see many birds during the winter months around the Delta, Ladner and Tsawwassen area. You can also head to Reifel Bird Sanctuary which is a migration area for many birds along the Pacific Flyway. There are many Sandhill Cranes and Lesser Snow Geese along with many other birds. There are several owls that migrated there but I can't seem to spot them. I guess they're always hiding high up in the trees?
These are some seriously impressive captures! I'd sure love to try my hand at bird/flight photography sometime soon.. Might not be too hard! I see a lot of vultures and a fair amount of hawks/falcons, and I even spotted a bald eagle perched on a dead tree on the roadside a few weeks back. Really wished I had my camera, I'd have pulled right over!
Thanks for the comments everyone!
Yes, I purchased a 70-300mm VR as it was on sale for $359 CDN during a boxing week sale. I'm no where near my goal of purchasing a 300mm f2.8 with a TC along with a new tripod and Wimberley head but I'll get there one day and when I do, I'll be birding non-stop! For the past few days, I've been trying to find a Barred Owl that I've seen twice at a near by park in the past but I haven't been so lucky.
A few more recent photos, nothing spectacular but it'll do for now I guess. I'm hoping I can make capture some more raptor photos this weekend.
I've never seen a Ring-Necked Pheasant in the wild before. There were two but one got scared as I quietly and slowly approached. I wanted to display its beautiful feathers but my full frame shot was a bit blurry so I'll have to settle for this "peek-a-boo" photo hah.
Not much happening these days. The owls just disappeared, I have no clue where they went. I guess I'll turn my attention to the local Bald Eagles, Harriers and Hawks. Maybe I can get some neat in-flight photos but for now these little backyard birds will have to do.
Made a little video early Sunday morning of the Chickadee's in my backyard.