Nashville Zoo photos - 9 of them (sorry 56K users)

caspertodd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are some photos I took on my recent trip to the Nashville zoo...

IMG_2670_1.jpg

IMG_2674_1.jpg

IMG_2611_1.jpg

4. Fill flash probably would helped here
IMG_2885_1.jpg

IMG_3002_1.jpg

IMG_2966_1.jpg

7. What's with the tongue?
IMG_2965_1.jpg

8. He stole the idea from the tiger
IMG_2978_1.jpg

9. Ok this wasn't at the zoo, but saw this when I got home
IMG_3178_1.jpg

love #5 and #6 w/ the tiger and monkey how did you not have bars or their cage in the way of the shot?

It's pretty clear in the tiger shots. Like, right there.

Those are on the back of the tiger.

IVE - Just setting a wide aperture generaly blurs out the fence so that you don't see it at all (except for those behind the tiger in this case).

IVE - Just setting a wide aperture generaly blurs out the fence so that you don't see it at all (except for those behind the tiger in this case).

If I recall correctly, the Nashville Zoo has a very nice "shoot through" area for the tigers and the mountain lion. They have an orange and a white tiger, both of whom like to hang out at the very back of their enclosure (which is quite big) so you were shooting from pretty far away.

I may be completely off, though, I have been to about 30 zoos since I last was at Nashville, and I have only been there in the winter so not everything was out.

Your shots look good.

Casper
Check out Sabbath's work. Its one of my favorites(love zoos)

Sabbath, what do you do in nocturnal exhibits? I used my 50mm f/1.8 and was able to get decent results.

If I recall correctly, the Nashville Zoo has a very nice "shoot through" area for the tigers and the mountain lion. They have an orange and a white tiger, both of whom like to hang out at the very back of their enclosure (which is quite big) so you were shooting from pretty far away.

I may be completely off, though, I have been to about 30 zoos since I last was at Nashville, and I have only been there in the winter so not everything was out.

Your shots look good.

Yeah, you described it pretty much exactly! I can reach the back of the cage with the 300mm fine, but it is not the clearest of lenses at that range in that type of lighting. The tigers are in the shade, so I really need to bring a tripod with me sometime so that I can try to get some real clear shots. I work about a block away from the zoo, and I have a membership there, so it gives me a great opportunity to help me learn photography. I will definitely take a look at your shots as well.

Thanks for the comments! :D

thanks for taking the time to explain "How to do it".
I know it might be obvious for others but for me, I've never know how one does those type of shots. and figure i'd ask.

and Reg: For those starting out it might not be obvious. and for me I'd like to learn tech's that seem I guess so obvious to others.

ACTUALLY: I meant that a cage was right there in the shot.

you just seem to be on my case already. and have no clue why? if you read my first post on this thread, I did state how the cages where not in the pic. so I knew the cage was there, but didn't know how you get them from appearing in the photo.

thanks for taking the time to explain "How to do it".
I know it might be obvious for others but for me, I've never know how one does those type of shots. and figure i'd ask.

and Reg: For those starting out it might not be obvious. and for me I'd like to learn tech's that seem I guess so obvious to others.

One thing that has helped me is downloading an EXIF plugin for Internet Explorer. You can right-click on pictures and click "View EXIF data", and this lets you see all the settings that the person used (for those that have EXIF data). I found a program by just googling for exif. The one I chose is Opanda which is free. you may already have been doing this though, just thought I would point it out just in case you weren't. For me it is really helpful to be able to know what shutter speed and aperture someone used for their shots along with ISO and focal length.

Most reactions

Back