NBA Shooting Question

There's nothing wrong with doing that. For one thing, the lens on the far left has it's lens hood on, so the front element is about 6 inches away from the ground. But the other two guy look like it's just the rim of the lens on the ground.

Yeah, with the hood on it'd be fine. I wasn't talking about that, I was talking about the lenses that are directly on the ground.

That can be done perfectly safely, as long as you're paying attention. I do it all the time. Front elemtns are surprisingly tough. These photographers don't have time to be messing around with lens caps, and they need to be switching back and forth very quickly from one camera to the other. Part of being a professional is acknowledging that protecting your equipment is secondary to getting the shot and doing you job. Being anal about caring for you gear is a luxury that professionals all too often don't have time for.

I know they have to switch back and forth with no time and I didn't say they should use lens caps, so no need to treat me like an idiot or a non-professional, thanks. I'm not even going to respond to the rest of your comments. :roll:

I dont think he was really attacking you, but rather trying to illustrate the urgency and priority of the guys sittin on the floor.. Im sure that theres enough clearance for them to place them on the ground with confidence. Plus the higher end lens' front elements typically dont move at all so no worry of it creepin or anything. Even still, Id be much more at ease with a nice hood on them :D

Sorry if you thought I was trying to be insulting. I was just responding to what you said.

Yeah, and I guess they know not to do that, but still, I wouldn't do that with my glass. If I have to put one of my lenses down face-first, I put the lens cap on it first.

If that's what you do, and what ever kind of shooting you do and at whatever level you shoot it at, allows for that... then that's great. When I have the time, I do the same thing, and I'm sure most of the people in that photo would as well. I was merely stating in contrast to what you said, that in some situations, like quick action, pro photography, there isn't time for that, and that most pro will willingly put there gear in lower priority than 'the shot'.

That can be done perfectly safely, as long as you're paying attention. I do it all the time. Front elemtns are surprisingly tough. These photographers don't have time to be messing around with lens caps, and they need to be switching back and forth very quickly from one camera to the other. Part of being a professional is acknowledging that protecting your equipment is secondary to getting the shot and doing you job. Being anal about caring for you gear is a luxury that professionals all too often don't have time for.

I know they have to switch back and forth with no time and I didn't say they should use lens caps, so no need to treat me like an idiot or a non-professional, thanks. I'm not even going to respond to the rest of your comments. :roll:

Holy in need of valium batman!

Shooting at an nba game is very,very tough. I had what is practically floor seats at a nets game and only brought my 24-105 f4 (after arguing with the retard at the gate that my lens has less zoom then a 5x zoom camera lol) and i had a horrible time getting decent shots. The main thing is that the lighting is so poor so you mainly have to shoot wide open which really sucks. I dont remember my exif data but i think i was shooting f4,1/200/iso1600 and was doing ok. You can check out my flickr at Flickr: WGP Photo's Photostream ..... i have what i thought is my best shots from that night on there. Being as close as i was (10ft further back than the togs on the wood) I still had to crop almost 50% on all my shots to get the composition i desired. Heres a photo i liked that was decently close up, enjoy!

4519443389_1cf6395b17_b.jpg

BTW... i wanted only the ref in focus, thought it was a cool shot :)

Most of the newer pro lenses like Nikon's 300/2.8 and 200 f/2 VR have rubber impact "lips" around the front ring...because placing a camera/lens combo lens-down is one of the most practical ways to put the doggone thing down indoors. It looks like the Canon 200/2 L-IS has the same type of rubberized impact ring as the similar Nikon lenses.

The front elements are 1/2 inch or so behind the edge of the front rings' rubber.

Most of the newer pro lenses like Nikon's 300/2.8 and 200 f/2 VR have rubber impact "lips" around the front ring...because placing a camera/lens combo lens-down is one of the most practical ways to put the doggone thing down indoors. It looks like the Canon 200/2 L-IS has the same type of rubberized impact ring as the similar Nikon lenses.

The front elements are 1/2 inch or so behind the edge of the front rings' rubber.

It does and I do the same thing. The front elements are like Darrel stated, back behind the front element ring. I have yet to mess up a lens shooting from the floor on the baseline by putting it down on the lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back