ND filter on Beseler 23 II

I think the lowest you can get for a 23c II is 60w which wouldn’t really make a difference so I’d still need the filter. Screwing the filter on the lens and forgetting about it seems pretty chill

See if you can get a dichro color head for it. Mine has a cooling fan and light diffuser, you can leave the in neg all day and won’t even get warm let alone melt. Plus you can use the dial in magenta filter for infinite contrast adjustment.

Also with a color head you can dial in the yellow and cyan equally to act as a ND filter.

See if you can get a dichro color head for it. Mine has a cooling fan and light diffuser, you can leave the in neg all day and won’t even get warm let alone melt. Plus you can use the dial in magenta filter for infinite contrast adjustment.
Oh sick. Well if I can somehow find one for dirt cheap I’ll do it but I’m not really down to keep dumping money into this. I already bought the filter and have had to replace literally every single thing. By the time I’m done I could have gotten a leica enlarger or something 😂

For sure get heat glass. Even with a lower watt bulb a long exposure could melt your negative.
Damn. Well what if I just keep doing 5 second exposures for prints that require no d&b until I can find that little piece of glass for under $70?

Damn. Well what if I just keep doing 5 second exposures for prints that require no d&b until I can find that little piece of glass for under $70?
Should be fine. It's when you get into several minutes. Some of my printing can go on for 2-4 minutes or more while I dodge/burn and manipulate.

Should be fine. It's when you get into several minutes. Some of my printing can go on for 2-4 minutes or more while I dodge/burn and manipulate.
Ohh okay, gotcha. So let's say.. anything under like, 20 seconds should be safe?

Thanks everyone for all the help

Do a Google search for heat absorbing glass.
Several years ago, I recall finding a couple places that made them, and you could order cut to size.

Do a Google search for heat absorbing glass.
Several years ago, I recall finding a couple places that made them, and you could order cut to size.
Oh, fantastic. Just gotta figure out the size of the 8042 and I'll get on that. Thanks

Ohh okay, gotcha. So let's say.. anything under like, 20 seconds should be safe?

Thanks everyone for all the help

If I want to dodge and burn, I preferred 20+ seconds.
This is so that the edges of where I was dodging and burning blended in. The shorter the exposure, the harder it was to blend it, and you could see where I was dodging/burning. And if it was doing more than one spot, I needed even more time.

If I was straight printing, less than 10 seconds was OK.
But nailing the the exposure time became more critical. A 1 sec difference in a 5 sec exposure makes more difference than a 1 sec difference in a 20 sec exposure.

The other factor is environmental:
I was lucky to have a SOLID base under my enlarger, so long exposures were not a problem.
If I were in a building where the floor would vibrate as someone walked down the hall, or kids playing, I would want a SHORT exposure. Or I would print when people were sleeping or at work, to minimize the vibration.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back