ND filters - does more $ = better results

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is something that has been discussed several times on this site with no consensus. Here’s a decent comparison of several brands across all price points. It’s a very short video, worth a view if you’ve been thinking of picking up a ND filter.

Neutral Density Filters Compared: Is It OK to Go Cheap?

I do not use filters now but when I did I would never buy the cheapest because most of the time in life you only get what you have paid for.........

Really just get those affordable multicoated filters from Hoya.

More money wont have much effect, if any.

I got a variable ND filter recently . I forget the brand and will check but it does generate the dreaded X at 7 to 8 stops. I find that often six stops is not enough but I am new to ND. I plan to start experimenting with in camera multiple exposure at six stops to see if I can simulate a higher number of stops.

Mine was $94 but I think I'd have gotten better results with the one that was $30 more.

Really just get those affordable multicoated filters from Hoya.

More money wont have much effect, if any.
More money will generally have an effect, but you quickly get in to the law of diminishing returns; is the very small improvement of a $500+ Singh Ray over a $125 B+W worth it? Probably not to most people.

I had a nice Hoya variable up to 9 stops and worked well and was around 100.00 but i dropped it on some rocks and didn't survive but have that been as John mentioned a 500.00 + Singh Ray i would have been crying and if its something not used that often seems a waste spending that much on any filter to each there own tho.

Last edited:
I have a graduated ND filter that I use for time lapse photography. I like to use it for running streams and water falls. I think I paid about $160 for it at B&H.

The cheap ND filters typically give more of a colour cast, but on digital this isn't difficult to correct for. I've had reasonable images using welding glass for a filter - generally just a couple of bucks each, a bit more for the darkest shades (~£20 for my gold 17 stopper).
ND filters don't come anywhere near in value & don't have shades as dark as are available in welding glass. They can't manage the lighter values however the brightest I've ever seen (shade 3) only transmits up to ~1-5% in the visual light band.
(Shade 8 is roughly 10 stops, shade 14 reaches ~18.5 stops!)

More money can get you a better product, but that doesn't guarantee better results.

I've had reasonable images using welding glass for a filter - generally just a couple of bucks each, a bit more for the darkest shades (~£20 for my gold 17 stopper).

Where does one pick up welding glass? Do you simply hold it in front of the lens while executing the exposure? I may have to try this....

Check out B&H to narrow your search choose your front filter thread size and you will see what brands and stops are available for you lens filter thread size if you just want a simple twist on front of lens type. I just picked up a 10 stops B+W MRC solid for 60.00 bucks from B&H gave it a quick try yesterday on a waterfall. I couldn't get the comp i wanted do to big tree left in my way and was breaking the laws of the land where i was so get in and got out climbing under a fence.LOL
DSC_1121.jpg

I have a set of the square ones with the adapter and strp up rings but they are a pita to use. I typically just hold it up to the lens! I was always worried about cheap filters ruining my photos but

I have a set of the square ones with the adapter and strp up rings but they are a pita to use. I typically just hold it up to the lens! I was always worried about cheap filters ruining my photos but
I always wondered how those work, i still don't know but do see people walking around with that type on the beach mostly. The 10 stop is to dark to focus with it on and kind of a pain to keep taking off to change focus areas then i could knock the focus off putting it back on so i found live view worked ok and could see what i was pointing at rather keep taking off and put back on which i know i will drop it eventually doing it that way.

Last edited:
I always wondered how those work, i still don't know but do see people walking around with that type on the beach mostly. The 10 stop is to dark to focus with it on and kind of a pain to keep taking off to change focus areas then i could knock the focus off putting it back on so i found live view worked ok and could see what i was pointing at rather keep taking off and put back on which i know i will drop it eventually doing it that way.

I guess I posted my post above without realizing I hadn’t finished it! Sorry about that. What I was going to add us that I was afraid to use cheap filters until...I had driven 2+ hours in the fall to the mountains only to find I had forgotten my polarizer. Bright sunny day and not a camera store around. I had to make do with a $20 filter set from Walmart! Saved my bacon that day for sure.

Most reactions

Back