Necessary equiptment for start up buisness...

mel02monroe said:
I have a Nikon D-70 that came with a AF-S Nikkor 18-70mm 1:3.5-4.5G ED lens, and my other lens is Quantaray AF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6LD. I don't know what those numbers at the end mean... but my camera only works with the lens aperature at 32... does this make sense? I am not sure if i know what i am talking about. But i use both lens on my film and digital cameras. What would be considered a "good quality lens" or what is the difference between what i have and what you are meaning?

I have to agree with the advice that has been given so far about trying to learn a little more about your cameras before getting too deep into starting the business up. I think you are doing all of the necessary things to get the business side ready before you jump into it.

Let me make sure that I'm on the same page first... On your lenses, you have an aperture ring at the end and it has a different colored 32 than the other numbers and the camera throws up an EE if you try and shoot in any other number, save for 32, is what I read. If it is, it just means that the camera will take over the aperture settings for the lens so you don't have to manually change it every time you shoot. Also, the numbers at the end of your lens is the minimum aperture for the lens (largest opening) with the smaller number being on the widest end and the larger being on the telephoto end.

If this is new information to you, the only thing that most of the members are trying to say is that there are some important parts of your camera that you will need to get familiar with before you go into a business. I think that going back to school like you're already planning and maybe following around a seasoned photographer before putting your plan into action could be the smartest/safest option.

bigfatbadger said:
I know that some pro's use D70's as their backups, but I think you need a better camera. Now I'm the first to say that megapixels don't make the woman or man, but if you're blowing up your photos big, you want more room for error in terms of cropping than the d70 will give you. A d200 should do it, or better if you can get.

Hmm... I happen to know a photographer or two that do weddings professionally and use a D70 as their primary camera..... and I'm one of them. When we first started doing weddings, we used to crop a lot more than we do now and it never had a problem taking up to half of the image out in a crop and still blowing up to a 16x20. Nowadays, we just frame the images how we want them. It's like the carpenter saying of measure twice, cut once. More than anything it saves us a tremendous amount of time in the post processing work. After a while of doing weddings, you see all of the possible photo sizes in your head before you click the shutter, which takes a lot of work out. And for that, the D70 is everything you could possibly need.

Whatever way you decide to go, good luck and keep us informed. :D

FuddyDuddy said:
Hello,

Get used to it Bill. This place seems to be the first port of call for all the idiot lazy wannabes out there, which is a shame. Still got that strip of gaffer tape?

Regards

Fuddy

Which is why you're here? Coming into the forum to ask for advice on photography before they pursue their passion in the form of a career is none of that and actually takes a lot more courage and drive than just posting rude comments to make yourself feel better. Please don't let it happen again.

hobbes28 said:
Let me make sure that I'm on the same page first... On your lenses, you have an aperture ring at the end and it has a different colored 32 than the other numbers and the camera throws up an EE if you try and shoot in any other number, save for 32, is what I read. If it is, it just means that the camera will take over the aperture settings for the lens so you don't have to manually change it every time you shoot. Also, the numbers at the end of your lens is the minimum aperture for the lens (largest opening) with the smaller number being on the widest end and the larger being on the telephoto end.

This is what i was talking about... the aperature ring. I understand about the technical aspect of apperature I have shot manually for several years now and have had no problems, but I understand that other people can adjust their aperature ring to other settings and I didn't know if it was just this way on my particular cameras or if it was for most and that is what confused me. I don't remember learning why it was always set at that number, but that it had to be at that number for my camera to work, and it is the same for both of my camera bodies, so I couldn't remember the exact reason why it was set at 32. I think that the others have misunderstood what I meant. Maybe I wasn't clear at all. I didn't mean for this whole discussion to be blown out of context. I was asking for the sake of asking because this forum is a way to learn new things. I didn't realize that I would be attacked for asking something I did not learn in my photography classes.

Now, if I am not going to be attacked... I have another question about the D70... it was mentioned in this string that it wasn't as great for croping... does that have to do with the pixels? Is there lower amount of pixels compared to the D200? The photographer I work with has a D200 and D100, but i think he mainly uses the 200... I am new to the whole digital thing so I am learning. Thanks for the faith, and not putting me down, hobbes.

Hi "wigwamjones" is right on. To be blunt, how can you even consider starting a business and not even know what equipment you may need. Would you hire a surgeon that just purchased the necessary equipment without any knowledge of the skills involved. I certainly wouldn't like to be your first patient [victim]. Your approach is completely back to front. With respect, may I suggest you rethink your aims in life. I can't believe you're serious about asking the questions.

Did I say that I didn't know what equiptment I would need? I simply asked if I was missing something for starting up. Again, I am not starting this up in a week or a month... this is in a couple years down the road and i am presently working on a Buisness plan that is going to be worked on up until I am ready to open. And everything that was suggested was on my list with the exception of the quality of the camera because I wasn't sure of what the quality was for my digital camera since I am completely new to digital and the extra flash for on top of my camera, because I just hadn't thought about it... which is why I started this thread anyways.

And how is learning camera technique and style back to front? I have spent endless hours and days in the darkroom at the college and have been accepted to Grad school for a master in fine art, but decided I wanted to pursue this instead of a different goal. I thought this forum was to learn things from other people's expertise, I can't believe you guys can be so rude without knowing about me or the quality of my work.

I can't believe the reasoning of the apperature ring was the most essential thing for me to carry out with me in photo 1 since i had no reason to change it while learning the basics and getting comfortable. I thought it was the idea of how shutter and apperatures, developing times, use of lights, compositioning....etc. And as for changing my goals in life? No way. I am not going to change because some guys on a post misunderstood me and don't know the quality of my work or education put me down. There is a reason I am not starting my business tommorow, and its because I want to learn the details that i do not already know... you guys make it sound that I am starting up tommorow with the expertise of a person fidgiting with the camera for the first time. Did you guys only start to think about your photography goals after you already had all of your expertise? I would assume not, I am sure that you had dreams midway, after you realized that you were good at what you do even though more experience and techniques will help you reach those goals.

hobbes28 said:
Which is why you're here? Coming into the forum to ask for advice on photography before they pursue their passion in the form of a career is none of that and actually takes a lot more courage and drive than just posting rude comments to make yourself feel better. Please don't let it happen again.

Hello,

I have no problem with people asking for advice before they pursue their passion. But when they say, and I quote, :

"I have a Nikon D-70 that came with a AF-S Nikkor 18-70mm 1:3.5-4.5G ED lens, and my other lens is Quantaray AF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6LD. I don't know what those numbers at the end mean... but my camera only works with the lens aperature at 32... does this make sense? I am not sure if i know what i am talking about."

one has to wonder exactly how "passionate" they really are. The fact is that plenty of people come here to ask questions about their new camera which would be answered by a cursory glance at the instruction manual. You may get a warm feeling from explaining the most basic of functions etc to these people, but I have a stock answer: RTFM.

I have no problem with passionate people asking intelligent questions about technique etc; after all that is partly the purpose of this site. But when people here treat an obvious moron as if they were asking such a question one has to ask why.

I shall adhere to your request to play nice, however.

Bill will now lead us in his version of Kum-By-Ya.

Regards

Fuddy

ps, WTF is an "aperature" anyway?

It sounds like you would be happier at a different board. You might want to look at Photo.net. The atmosphere here is like a clubhouse and friendly, which trumps everything else. Sure, it's a photography forum, but it's a friendly photography forum. A large number of the members are very new to photography, and quite a few are on the younger side, so being judgemental doesn't help further the whole "learning" thing.

As I'm sure people who have gotten a critique will tell you, I'm not afraid of telling someone what I think. But I also try to be polite (I'm not alway, but I do try) and tell them why I'm thinking the way I am.

I've been noticing a few of the newer members posting things like "this is just a snapshot" or something similar, and that's it. That's just rude.

In this case, it seems like you are posting out of frustration. Considering the types of questions that come up here regularly, this will be a very frustrating board to be a member of. "What camera should I buy?" will be asked at least once a week, and probably more often. Sure, the person asking could do their own research, but in their mind, that's what they are doing. Since I can get frustrated with the same question, I often will just not post in those threads. Why is it up to me to set them in their place? Other people have to problem answering the question, so why not let them?

But when people here treat an obvious moron as if they were asking such a question one has to ask why.
Why? I mean, why do we have to ask why? Why can't we just let it go? If you don't like a thread, stop reading it. If you want to make your opinion known, go right ahead. Just be polite about it.

Personally, I found it odd that they seemed to switch their story, but I said my piece about needing to know what you are doing before shooting a wedding. It might have been a misunderstanding. It might not have been, but calling names isn't going to make it any better.

mel02monroe, I just wanted to say I think you are making a very wise decision by thinking about your business plan now while you are still studying photography. I have owned a Portrait & Wedding studio for 3 years and quite honestly the hardest part is the business end (marketing, taxes, starting credit, etc). I think the equipment you have listed is a great start. As your business makes money you will probably start to invest in more lenses, etc. As Big Mike mentioned, backup is KEY! We always carry two digital bodies along with film body too. As for equipment, we shoot with the following:

Nikon D70
Canon 10D
Nikon N70
Assortment of lenses: 20mm, 50mm, 100mm (macro), 70-200 2.8
3 1G cards and 3 512 cards
40 Gig portable storage device
2 off camera flashes along with a Quantum flash
Rechargable batteries (probably enough to power our entire home ;) )

For studio portraits we have:
Hensel Lighting Kit
20X30 softbox
A few props for children (bench, chairs, etc)
Background stand
3 musln backgrounds
2 roll paper backgrounds

I think one of the biggest mistakes a new photographer can make is thinking they have to have it all RIGHT NOW. By starting with what you have, doing a few shoots and then reinvesting that money into new/upgraded equipment. When I shot my first wedding the bride knew it was my first "for pay" wedding. I gave her a discounted price and everyone was happy. In fact, from that first wedding we received two referaals from her family for more wedding shoots.

Contracts are king in this business, but insurance is also a must have just in case. I made my business a corporation to protect my personal assets in case a couple wanted to sue. You also aren't alone in these questions and a new sub-forum for the Business side of photography will be introduced soon (location TBD).

Keep up your positive attitude, asking questions and improving your skills and you will go far in this business.

Hi "wigwamjones" is right on. To be blunt, how can you even consider starting a business and not even know what equipment you may need. Would you hire a surgeon that just purchased the necessary equipment without any knowledge of the skills involved. I certainly wouldn't like to be your first patient [victim]. Your approach is completely back to front. With respect, may I suggest you rethink your aims in life. I can't believe you're serious about asking the questions.

I'm sorry but what? Are we all born with innate knowledge of what we need to set up a photography business, no, that's why we come to places like this and ask questions. And before you say "S/he clearly hasnt done their research" they already gave a good list at the start of the thread.

I stand corrected on the D70 thing.

Mr/s Monroe, please don't go anywhere else for the sake of a quickly phrased and harshly accepted statement. People have been pretty tolerant around me and I think they will be for you as well, it's just that other people have slaved away to build a photography business and when they see what they suspect is a clueless person ready to set up they get a little riled. However, as you;ve pointed out you're not clueless, just phrased a statement a little quickly and other people came back to you quicker.I suspect as well, you have a lot to teach those of us (like me) who have a good grasp of the technical side, but are somewhat lacking in the artistic side of photography

Hi "Mel02monroe" I think I have offended you with my reply, I obviously misunderstood what you were getting and I apologise. I suppose we base our answers on our background and experience and I am not a wedding photographer, but I have been in business for 38 years in advertising photography, and spent the previous 10 years working in the industry to learn my trade. I will now follow "wigwam jones" and bow out of the discussion.

THanks for the reply, the list isn't too far from what I had in mind. Thanks for the suggestions too!

So anyhow, the letters at the end, pretty much are the type of coatings on the lens. I don't have anything digital, but, don't " G " lenses come without an aperature control ring ?

To answer a point from the original question that has not been answered, you don't need to pay for an expensive copy of PhotoShop. Just use the open-source equivalent - the GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program). See www.gimp.org. It's as good as Photoshop (some say better) and you can use it legally with your business for free.

Ted

If I were to cross into the high risk world of wedding photography the first thing I would do.... find another photographer to apprentice under. You sound young and haven't accumulated financial/family obligations and responsibility. If you are serious, offer your services for free for the sake of learning. Just like any trade, you cannot just jump in head first.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back