Necessary equiptment for start up buisness...

This question comes up here all the time and I know it's sometimes met with the nicest responses but I think a little explanation is in order. The people here who might get offended by this type of question are people who (like myself) have spent years learning a craft (Photography) done countless low paid weddings and mabye someday (or now) will be getting paid good money to shoot portraits weddings etc. because they have the experience and have paid their dues. Now I'm not saying you need to apprentice under someone for years or whatever but do not be surprised when you come on here and say "I'm not sure what side to look into the camera but I want to get a SBA loan and open a studio where do I start" (of course an extreme exxageration) and you get a bad reaction.

Hi Mel,
There are some really good points and advice from people here and understandably some frustrations when it appears like a typical 'I have just bought a low end DSLR and kit lens and am setting up a wedding business'. It looks like you have your head screwed on and are planning well. The advice to build up slowly and reinvest is very good as there is always something else you need. I'm sure the other working photographers will agree with me that it is only when you are actually working that you find your style and therefore which kit you like. For instance, my colleague has completely different kit to me (both Canon) but we both work in the same business. Just as some suggestions for kit which I would say vary from essential to desirable are ... fast lenses for low light non flash services (I carry a couple on me) spare camera body (again I have it on me) flashes and remote transmitter (as direct flash as main source is point and shoot territory) Insurance (professional indemnity, public liability and equipment) Radio Triggers (as sync leads are unreliable and dangerous) etc etc Hope this helps, cheers Chris

I will just input that Nikon AF lenses need to be set at the minimum aperature for automatic camera modes to work. If you don't you get the EE message. So if your lens has a minimum aperature of 32. Then you have to set it to that for the camera to control the aperature (auto). Most lenses actually have a lock there so you can't accidentially take it out of the minimum aperature. Even though its on 32, that doesn't mean what the camera is adjusting it too. The camera opens the lens wide open so you have a bright view. When you take the picture it stops down to the setting the metering determines is correct (auto mode).

Now for the camera. I disagree that you automaticially have to have a big mp camera to do wedding / portrait work. Now if you have a smaller mp camera it may limit your customers. But part of taking a job is for the photographer to interview the client. To know what the client wants and expects! They interview you, and you them. If they want large prints, then yes, you may have to trun the job down. If they want a standard photo album with no bigger than 8x10's. Then the lower D-70 camera will be just fine. But I will caution the need for fast lenses. If you have cheap slow lenses (lower quality glass also). You may find your output prints are not of high enough quality. Cameras too, but in this discussion its a known good camera.

Someone earlier suggested a few props for children, benches, chairs, etc. You can find high quality and custom designed chairs, benches and posers in wicker, willow, wood or metal at http://www.wickerbydesign.com . We have sizes for all ages of children, infants, babies, toddlers, 3-5 years old and older children - even Seniors. You can also search for posing ideas in our Portrait Gallery where there are nearly 1000 images with search tags.

I guess you are getting a little taste of what business is going to be like on this thread. Personally I applaud your planning before you actually start. As a person who went into business without much of a plan (not wedding photography) I can attest that it is not an easy way to go. I struggled for several years because of poor planning and not being knowledgeable about certain things. I was lucky and now have become successful and secure enough not to worry about anyone else and what they are doing (in my business anyone with a pickup truck and sign on the side is ‘in the business’). You will always run into naysayers and people that don’t think you should try it. If being a wedding photographer is your dream, don’t listen to them, just continue your education and getting experience and try and follow your idea as far as you can. The market will ultimately decide if you should be there or not. Here is my short list of things you need to be successful:

1. Knowledge and experience
2. Honesty and integrity (reputation is paramount)
3. Drive and the ability to challenge yourself and take advantage of opportunities that are presented
4. Networking (it’s about people)

I am surprised by some people’s reaction here. It is not the TPF I have come to know and love. So my advice is hang out, keep reading and asking questions as there are some extremely knowledgable and talented people that will help you (some have replied to this thread already), not put you down.

For the OP. Your aperture ring is locked at minimum aperture so that the camera can control exposure automatically. Aperture is controled through the camera in your case, not through the aperture ring. You can unlock it if you like and use it on a camera that doesn't require a locked aperture ring to function. You are nowhere near ready to be professional photographer. Sorry. Why not keep your day job and spend a few years getting your feet wet?

It's good to ask questions and good to learn but, like the others, I think you should do more of that before trying to get paid for doing photography.

At this point I will also bow out.

Hello,

Get used to it Bill. This place seems to be the first port of call for all the idiot lazy wannabes out there, which is a shame. Still got that strip of gaffer tape?

Regards

Fuddy

You are a jerk. :grumpy: How dare you call someone names who is just learning the art of photography. I was the OP just a few months ago, and I got a similar reaction, although not as rude as you, and I am GLAD you never responded to me, and if you did I don't remember it.

Furthermore, who are you to call this person a lazy or an idiot? You know nothing about them. Sure, they should probably learn what "those numbers at the end" mean, and I agree, but the very fact that they came seeking help is more to show that they are not LAZY.

The OP, and I, were deluded to think a wedding photographer could start this business on a shostring budget. I am doing a wedding in May, because I was personally asked by the bride, for reasons I've got into before and I won't go into now. Will I advertise myself as a professional wedding photog after this? No. I won't.... but I am sure I will get another offer soon enough, and I'll take it on if it's something I think I can do!

Also, everyone's list of what you "need" to be a professional photographer is different. For example I made over $1200 dollars in the last 3 months using a POINT AND SHOOT Canon A610:

http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Canon%20PowerShot%20A610%20Digital%20Camera:1992668872

All of my business was word of mouth! The extent of my advertisement is a picture hanging at work with my phone number on it... I dont even have business cards!!!

I will continue getting people contacting me about my services, and I explain to them I am an amatuer, and this is a hobby/side business and I charge only to cover my costs and time. (4 hour single person photo sessions for 50 - 75 dollars) I haven't had one complaint. Not one.

Listen, I know I have a lot to learn still, and I think I udnerstand aperature and lighting more than the average person, and maybe more than the OP... but I am just starting, and you, and the rest of the people on this forum who think like you have NO business calling anyone names.

Grow up. Offer advice or shut up... if you think the best advice is "I don't think you're ready for this" then say so, but don't call names.

P.S. There should be a punishment for this type of behaviour.

Most reactions

Back