Need a 70-200mm lens! [nikon]HELP!

personally, you cant go wrong with either the sigma or tamron 70-200. im planning on buying whichever one i find a better deal on.

Check the used market for an older tamron 70-210 f2.8.. it's a great lens, built like a tank (no plastic... unlike newer lenses). This lens typically sells for about $350 used--sometimes less, I bought mine for $275, best buy I ever made!

67d.gif

There's one on ebay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tamron-Telephot...oryZ3323QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
personally, you cant go wrong with either the sigma or tamron 70-200. im planning on buying whichever one i find a better deal on.
The only gripe I have with my Tamron lenses is the are much slower and, noisier. All of my Nikons are faster and quieter. Even my 80-400, which is fairly noisy to me.

I just purchased my 2nd camera from cameta through Amazon (d300 on its way right now). I have in the past ordered stuff from their ebay site as well. Never a problem, never any contact about an upsell. I bet I have used them at least 10 times. Again never a problem. I have used B&H, and Adorama in the past never a problem with them either.

I also have a 7 year old example of the 80-200 2.8d that I bought new and am still very happy with its performance.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for the info!

I'll be ordering everything tomorrow, and I'll take some shots later!

One less ED? What does that really mean?

And yea. I know the VR makes a real difference.

Another question, is there a reason to go for a non-Nikon(Tamron) 70-200mm over a Nikon 70-200mm?

I'll probably only purchase a 70-200mm if I get into photography a bit more. And I don't really wanna buy used. I dislike buying used. I can't trust the previous owners o.o

One less ED? What does that really mean?

And yea. I know the VR makes a real difference.

Another question, is there a reason to go for a non-Nikon(Tamron) 70-200mm over a Nikon 70-200mm?

I'll probably only purchase a 70-200mm if I get into photography a bit more. And I don't really wanna buy used. I dislike buying used. I can't trust the previous owners o.o

If you're going to buy the 70-200mm, buy the Nikkor. Its a pro lens and better quality than the non-nikkor versions.

Though the $$ is a killer :/

Price. plain and simple, it's price.I've done work with the nikon version and canon versions of the sigma , and the canon 70-200f2.8L. The difference in IQ is hard to justify spending that much more on to just start out with. I would much rather have the sigma and another good quality wide angle or prime to round out a basic gear bag with than spend that much more and be stuck with one lens. The one may be a small bit better(and for standard printing resolutions good luck fiding enough of a flaw to justify it), but it will not do as much.

Personally I'd rather buy a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 and another 17-50ish(maybe a 24-70 or slightly shorter zoom) f2.8 zoom.

I might add, not all pros only swear by nikon and canon lenses. I have a professor who flatout opted out of buying the L series lenses for the sigmas.....

ive never heard fantastic things about sigma. in the future i might go with the newer tamron 70-200 just because of this. but you guys are making me doubt what ive heard.

ive never heard fantastic things about sigma. in the future i might go with the newer tamron 70-200 just because of this. but you guys are making me doubt what ive heard.

Perhaps not from the Sigma in the 70-200 class, but it beat out Nikon and Tamron's best in the 17-55mm F/2.8 class in 3 different shootouts by 3 different magazines.

Name brand are not a guarantee of them being the best. Some 3rd part lenses are better, some are worse. The smart shopper knows when to stick to OEM and when to pick up the better performing lens AND save money. :)

I might add, not all pros only swear by nikon and canon lenses. I have a professor who flatout opted out of buying the L series lenses for the sigmas.....

even professors can become addicted to crack...

yes they can, but then again so can people on internet forums...:greenpbl:

If you don't need a fast lens or full time manual focusing, the Nikon 55-200 VR is nice.

Sincerely, I think that at the point in my learning curve where I am at, once I decide on why I need a lens of a particular focal length, prime or tele, nothing but the absolute current market best will do. It may be an OEM lens or it could be a Sigma/Tamron/whatever, as long as it has proven itself as the market leader in outperforming all of it's competition.

I decided a while ago that I will not sacrifice IQ to save a few dollars. I would rather not have the lens for a few months and save up for the small amount that I am lacking, rather than get a lens of lesser quality and "save" a little money. I would never want to settle for anything less than the best in class of what I choose after my research is completed.

That doesn't mean that I will pay some uber-exorbitant price for a lens that I select... I will still aggressively shop around amongst all the most reliable and secure sources I can find and purchase from the one that will give me the best price for my choice. This is part of my research process for all my equipment. Of course, the lenses that I chose, will not be $100 lenses, they will be expensive... but I am more than OK with that. I consider myself worth the investment. :)

- I never ask "what lens is good for me"... if you do not know the answer to that yourself, you are NOT ready to buy ANYTHING.

- I do not shy away from doing the research myself, meaning learning everything about the lenses that I want. I can tell you, without exception, EVERY F/-stop of any of my lens' sweetspot and at what focal length.

- I always buy only new with warranty

- I don't mind buying from the USA to save a few bucks

- I don't purchase from eBay and RUN away from people with bad ratings on www.resellerratings.com

- I research thoroughly and read a LOT and when possible, personally test the items I want to purchase.

- I often spend a few dollars talking to owners over long distance over thhe phone to get personal opinions and experiences. I spent near $30 talking to a guy in England about the 18-50 Sigma.

- The moment before I pull out the credit card, I am 100% sure of what item I want and and how much I want to pay. I've made my choice without reservation. At that point, I stop researching, stop price shopping and place the order... and never look back.

I'm 100% happy with all my choices so far and I know that this system works for me in the sense that I will never make a bad choice or get anything less than a fair deal.

Camera bodies change every couple of years... but good lenses last decades.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back