Need a back up Camera, suggestions?

Wolverinepwnes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I have a noticed that I am in need of a point and shoot back up for trips that I just can't bust out my D300s to take pictures (ie. snowboarding trip on the slopes and such). suggestions are appreciated, my budget is $500. Thanks

G-series Canon

or

Panasonic LX3

If you need something even more compact than either of those two, then the Canon S90. All three are advanced P&S with raw capability. If you need a superzoom more along the lines of a P&S, then the Panasonic ZS3 (which has replaced my TZ5).

TZ5 (was posted on the 1000+ picture thread)

380093898.jpg

and a few from my LX3 (again from the 1000+ picture thread)

378776299.jpg

376218755.jpg

376218756.jpg

376218761.jpg

Fun camera and great IQ if you stay within the limits.

So I have a noticed that I am in need of a point and shoot back up for trips that I just can't bust out my D300s to take pictures (ie. snowboarding trip on the slopes and such). suggestions are appreciated, my budget is $500. Thanks
That's what the D60/50mm f/1.8 is for. :D

I would second the Canon G series. Great cameras.

Thanks....

Once you take photography less seriously and just shoot... doesn't matter what camera is in hand... you start to enjoy it more.

Never thought I would say this... but buying a P&S has probably done wonders for me and my life long hobby. Especially when life is a bit stressful otherwise.

I bought my wife an L 20 Coolpix for Christmas, small, lightweight and nice pictures, and only $90 bucks, use the other money for something on your D-300s setup.

i was lookin at the Casio P&S, cuz of their slow motion recording feature, has anyone used one before?

I was headed that route... buying a sub $100 P&S. I even spent a little more for the TZ5 superzoom... great range and good IQ but still P&S limited..

For me it didn't work. I grew frustrated because I felt so handicapped after shooting for decades with advanced cameras. Yes... I was creative but still felt limited. It took a while (shot with G1, G3, G5) but panasonic finally delivered a camera that fits the bill; great optics, wide angle, raw, advanced features... A camera that fits every-day-life. (I'm still a fan of the G-series but they are just not compact enough)

I'm hoping this market segment continues on. Canon and their S90, Sigma and DP1, Ricoh, and Leica with their X1, it looks like a market segment that is growing somewhat.

Do your research all are quite different in terms of features and have something great to offer. Any specific questions on the LX3, I am more than happy to answer. It has seen just about as much use as my rangefinders.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back