What's new

Need a camera

Call me Asd

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jun 14, 2011
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Ok so I decided to ask here since I am unsure of what to get. I have recently looked around for a camera to get since all the ones I have are getting pretty dated. So basically I need a camera that is not overly expensive but is able to take a quality photo. I do not have a set in stone limit on how much I can spend, but the cheaper the better.

Mostly this would be used during some of my free time. I have no specific category of pictures I like to take (mostly due to the fact that I have only recently began taking pictures other than a family reunion or something of the sort).

Hopefully you can help someone who has almost no clue on what to get.

P.s. My iPhone I just used to type this mist hate me. Had the hardest time...
 
There is no real answer to this question with the info provided!

Need better guide lines...

Look here first
 
This is hard because you haven't mentioned any price range at all (or other qualifications for that matter). $200? $500? $1,500? $5,000? $10,000? do you want to be able to change the lens down the road? would you prefer something small and portable over something with higher quality and flexibility? Do you want to learn how to shoot, or do you intend on using it in some automatic mode? how important is low light capability? how important is high speed for moving subjects?

Personally I do my best not to buy gear that I expect to replace any time soon... so thinking ahead to what you will be growing into is helpful. If you don't intend on getting very serious about it, a nice point and shoot may do you fine. If you really want to learn and experiment and have flexibility down the road, a dSLR is probably better suited.

So, whatcha lookin for? maybe we can come with up some actual suggestions for you
 
Mind = blown

Ok so now that I have looked at the replys it seems my question was too vague.

Around $500 would be great for a price and I would love to change lenses. I prefer higher quality photos with some portability (I.e. It can hand around my neck). I do plan on actually learning all the settings on the camera as it leads to way better quality photos. As per moving while taking a picture or the subject of my picture moving, I do not have a preference.

Hopefully that was able to narrow down my earlier question to something more specific.

Edit: low light capacity would be kind of helpful since I sometimes take indoor photos.
 
In this case I'd probably be looking at picking up a used Canon Rebel with a kit lens. Essentially the newest one you can find at that price. Someone here will probably be able to suggest a Nikon in the same price range. It's worth noting that the entry level Nikon's can only autofocus certain lenses, the Rebel will work with any EF or EF-S mount lens. I'd recommend going to a camera shop and messing around with a few models, Canon and Nikon have very different ergonomics and it really just comes down to personal preference at this price point.

As a side note, I never went with a kit lens, as they're sort of designed to do a little of everything but nothing all that well. A 50mm f/1.8 is a very inexpensive lens that will be sharper and much much brighter than the kit lens, but has no zoom. So it depends which variables you want to restrict yourself with.

Hope this helps!
 
The quality of a photo is way more a function of the skill and knowledge the photographer has, and way less what camera/lens was used.

So, to make quality images you'll also need to gain at least a basic understanding of the guidelines that are part and parcel of the visual arts, things like composition and lighting.
 
Hmm. Alright. There is a camera shop a few minutes from my house so I will probably stop by there and have a look. Hopefully I can find something that fits my needs there.
 
If you buy a Nikon, consider the 50mm f/1.8 D lens since it is around $ 100 less than the G. Plus it works on any Nikon camera. The G lens will not work on older Nikon bodies.

DaveO
 
CNET often has good review of electronic equipment.
 
Consider the micro 4/3 camera like the Olympus EP-2, Panasonic GF-2. Those should be around your price range and are very portable. The new Panasonic G-3 coming out should have more of a DSLR feel, but lighter. Could also consider the Panasonic GH-1 or Sony Alpha A55. If weight isn't as big of a issue, try the Nikon D3100 or the Canon Rebel TI2. It's a bit over $500, but those are good entry level with video capability. I would suggest trying those specific camera out at the local shop and decide which one you like and which one you don't. Then going to snapsorts.com to compare the specs. That's pretty much how I picked my first camera.
 
Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom