Need a Counseling :(

The_Wanderer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello Friends,

I have posted few photos in this forum and learned many things from this forum, I thank everyone who commented and as well corrected me. Since my interest is increasing day by day towards Photography, I am even ready to quit the job which I am doing now and concentrate fully on Photography, I am writing this here to get some guidance or idea. I myself not clear in my mind about what to do. I am planning to quit my present Job, I am thinking of pursuing a new route (Photography), I am not a PRO or I do not have any high end camera too. All I have is interest to learn more and more in photography and would like to make it full time rather than some weekend stuffs. My question is.. What should be done to pursue a future with Photography, I am more interested in Nature or Wild Life ( some times wonder how to Join National Geographic channel etc ), I am not a business man, so I do not have any Idea nor Interest for Model, Marriage, Party etc photography. Dear friends, kindly suggest, need a counseling to be precise. Thank you :)

NotSureIfSerious.jpg

To be blunt: Give your head a long shake! This is setting yourself up for failure. Don't quit your job; use it to finance your intended second career (photographer). Take business courses, learn business and advertising strategy, learn how the financial end of a business works. Build up your gear. Pro gear is not just about bigger and fancier, it's about durable. Build up your 'L' glass while you still have a 'real' job. Actively seek out jobs as a photographer, whether wedding portrait, etc. When you're not studying and not shooting paid gigs, spend your time outside shooting nature and landscape shots. Work on your marketing.

Everyone wants to be a famous landscape photographer. Unfortunately, this is about the toughest part of photography to make it in... You may not like weddings and parties, but they pay the bills!

+1 to what Tiredon said - you're not only not experienced nor equipped to turn pro from the photography side, but also looking to get into a market which is often one most run alongside a regular job or as a side to a main photography business (eg the suggested weddings, retail, portraits).

Be keen on the new hobby -but keep it as a hobby; keep that level of fun rather than making it something that must earn the weekly money for food and bills.

Put yourself in a position to do it first.
Clear debt, work on your site and business plan, someone mentioned taking a business course (will your current employer pay for some of that business education?) you don't have to say why you are taking business classes.
Unless you are doing awesome nature / landscapes I would go into other areas of photography (portraiture, weddings, commercial) where you can make some money.
Home Based Business | SBA.gov
-
Shoot well, Joe

Why quit your current gig? Spent your off time focusing on the new passion, quit your job when keeping it LOSES you money.

Quit your job when your business is ready to be started. Would you open a supermarket with nothing inside? where the money is going to come from? you have no professional gear? do you have kids to support? do you have a wife who makes good money? are you crazy? Landscape photography? are you selling prints already? do you have contacts?

come on, anyone who has been a member of this forum for a day or longer knows better than to post this unless in jest. I refuse to respond.

:lol:

come on, anyone who has been a member of this forum for a day or longer knows better than to post this unless in jest. I refuse to respond.

:lol:

But you did!!!;):lol:

@the Wanderer: Top 3 reasons for new business failure are: 1) lack of working capital, 2) lack of business skills, and 3) lack of marketing skills.

If you're going to do this, you need enough working capital to sustain you for a year. That means, no debt, and enough savings to allow you to pay personal and business expenses for a year. Then you can concentrate on getting your business running without worrying every month about covering your commitments (and that includes eating, by the way). If after month nine you're still not making enough money, then you have still have three months of savings to find yourself a job. Don't count on your spouse for support (unless you are looking to get divorced), and don't count on creating a cash-flow until you've spent at least 6 months in the business.

Business skills means that you have a business model with a good chance giving you a good profit (solid niche, little competition, a good propective client list), with good organization (record-keeping, for accounting, taxes, prospects, clients, commitments), and enough backup (connections) that you can call in additional troops as necessary if you get a monster job, or one where your equipment is not sufficient. A really good exercise is to write a business plan, in which you establish monthly budgets, identify your marketing approach and costs, define how you will compete, and make it clear to yourself what kind of margins and revenues you need to have to sustain your business.

Marketing skills means knowing who your target clients are or should be, how to approach them and get them interested, and how to ensure that you close them to secure the business. One mantra of small business is A.B.C. (Always Be Closing). Marketing is a continuous activity, and should be taking up about 50% of your working life. If you are not prepared to make this kind of time commitment, then you're not ready to get into business for yourself.

Actually, I did... And your sarcasm is appropriate. Too bad we can't have a soundtrack to accompany our emoticons. I'd thinking of the ominous thom-thom-thom that in the old westerns always signalled a very bad situation about to happen...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back