need a decent but inexpensive lens for group shots

Charity

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i've got a nikon D90, and recently purchased a 50mm f1.8 for portraits. would like to add another lens to the camera bag, but not sure what i should get. i have only been pursuing my photog business for just about a year now, and am still building my portfolio. i seem to do mostly children and family photog, which i LOVE, but also enjoy landscape and nature shots. i'm really not sure what lens to purchase that would enhance my family portraits. any advice?

You must be looking for a wide angle lens, but are you wanting a prime or a zoom?

Go for tokina 16-50 f/2.8 or a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. Gonna run about $400-$600.

Wide angle lenses will be your best shot. As some have pointed 16-50 or 17-50 2.8 will be your best best by Tokina/Tamron or the 35mm 1.4 or 1.8 although on a DX camera the 35mm will be an effective 52.5 so not that wide.

Last edited:
I second the 17-50mm Tamron. Got mine used for $270 and it is MUCH sharper than the kit lens.

I use a Tamron 17-50 2.8 on my Pentaxes for a walk around zoom- well built, sharp, and beats any kit lens hands down.

Thanks for the input, ya'll! I was leaning towards a zoom simply because I can't always get where I need to be with my feet. Right now, my living room is my studio...or I'm on location. So, I was concerned with the low light aspect of this lens (the 17-50 2.8) for indoors, from what I had read about it. Don't know if one lens will accommodate both the inside and outside shoots, but I thought I'd research it, and see what the consensus was. Any thoughts as to nikor vs tamron for the nikon D90? as far as quality and compatibility? How do I know a used lens is "safe"? What should I look for?

Essentially, a used lens is a good buy if it's price is commensuate with it's condiiton. Some used buyers are willing to accept more wear and tear because it lowers the price.

Lenses don't depreciate as quickly as camera bodies do. I have purchased used lenses and a couple of years later sold them for the same as I paid for them. Today, it's not uncommon to sell a lens bought used years ago, for more than paid for initially, because used gear prices have gone up.

3rd party lenses are generally less expensive than camera maker lenses because they use less expensive materials and manufacturing processes, like wider tolerences, so each of a particular lens model can have good, not so good, or down right poor performance depending on which way all the tolerences in the lens line up. To a degree, getting a new, good example is a crap shoot.

Camera maker lenses are much more consistant in their performance.

There are reputable online used camera/lens sellers like KEH.com and the used gear departments of Adorama.com and BHPhotoVideo.com

Most reactions

New Topics

Back