Need a Good Telephoto

bdavis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Friend and I were talking last night and want to hit some races this summer at a local speedway and I'm needing a good telephoto lens to take with me. Can anyone point me in the right direction. I'm looking for something with a good zoom, maybe 300-400mm max, fast focus, wide aperture, and in the $400-$1,000 price range. I've been looking at the following:

Nikon 70-300 f/4.5
Sigma 50-500 f/4
Tokina 80-400 f/4.5

Are any of these good lenses or can someone recommend something better?

Well i have been looking into a good lens as well are the races during the day or at night. If they are during the day any those with that aperature will be fine. At night more than likly they will porb not work like you want them to. I am getting the sigma 70-200 with and f/2.8 its goin for about 800 bucks or the tamron 70-200 its and f/2.8 as well its goin for about 600. I just got to try the sigma and that thing is super fast at focusing so i would say the sigma.

Sigma | 70-200mm f/2.8 II EX DG APO Macro HSM AF Lens | 579-306

lucky you can even get it used for 640 lucky

In the top end of the price range get yourself a Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8 AF D
It would just fit in the budget and is a most drool worthy lens. But it has been discontinued I think, well at least many stores can't get ahold of it.

I was leaning towards that Sigma myself, I've heard great things about it, but I've also heard great things about the Nikon 70-300 f/4.5 VR...how do these two lenses compare when it comes to focusing, sharpness and overall quality?

Anyone tried the Sigma 120-400 f/4.5?

I've heard it was good, but I just wanted to ask if anyone has this lens and what they think of it.

In the top end of the price range get yourself a Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8 AF D
It would just fit in the budget and is a most drool worthy lens. But it has been discontinued I think, well at least many stores can't get ahold of it.

Listen to Garbz...

I was actually hoping for something longer than 200mm. I already have an 18-200 that works pretty well so I was hoping to get a lens with a longer range.

I was actually hoping for something longer than 200mm. I already have an 18-200 that works pretty well so I was hoping to get a lens with a longer range.

ya but the 18-200 is a dx lens

the 80-200 is full frame which will give you a 350mm field of view on your crop sensor.... all this and a 2.8 aperture... GOD BLESS YOU NIKON!!!

Interesting bit of knowledge, didn't think about that.

Based on what you've said, I might have to get a new lens or two if I switch to a D300 wouldnt I?

Interesting bit of knowledge, didn't think about that.

Based on what you've said, I might have to get a new lens or two if I switch to a D300 wouldnt I?

I thought the D300 was still had a crop factor sensor.
You only get FX when you move up to D700 or the D3.

Ahh thank you, thats what I needed to know. Don't think I'll be doing that for a little while then

DX lenses cover a smaller sensor than a Fx lens. The focal length is the same, 200mm is 200mm. A DX lens on a DX camera will still have a 1.5 crop factor, same as a FX lens. The DX lens will not cover the whole sensor of a FX camera. Murray

Look for a used 80-200 and a TC17. That'll give you an effective FL on your APS-C sensor of 510mm (or near 'nuf) @ f4.

I was leaning towards that Sigma myself, I've heard great things about it, but I've also heard great things about the Nikon 70-300 f/4.5 VR...how do these two lenses compare when it comes to focusing, sharpness and overall quality?

I've got the Nikkor 70-300. It's a fine lens and I have no serious complaints. It is a bit slow so it would not be good at night. As for sharpness and all round quality...it's just fine.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back