Need a Good Telephoto

Thanks, I'm leaning towards the 80-200...now I have to save up for it. I just spent $440 on an SB-800 so my money took a hit :(

Thanks, I'm leaning towards the 80-200...now I have to save up for it. I just spent $440 on an SB-800 so my money took a hit :(
Yeah much better choice. Beside some of those races will be at night you will need the extra stops with that lighting.

I would suggest a teleconverter too, read below:

Look for a used 80-200 and a TC17. That'll give you an effective FL on your APS-C sensor of 510mm (or near 'nuf) @ f4.

The TC17 from Nikon is a fine teleconverter optically, but a half arsed implementation for AF lenses, in that many don't focus at all. I thin kthe 80-200 AF D is one of those lenses. The more expensive AF-S model would focus with the TC17IIE though.

I suggest for teleconverters look at the Kenko Pro 300 teleconverter series. The 1.4x and 1.7x are especially excellent, and will let you autofocus with any lens. (A rare case of a great product from an otherwise average company, oh an the TC17 is a lemon from Nikon and should stay in the 1980s where it belongs.)

Great advice garbz, I'll look into that as well. Thanks!

The TC17 from Nikon is a fine teleconverter optically, but a half arsed implementation for AF lenses, in that many don't focus at all. I thin kthe 80-200 AF D is one of those lenses. The more expensive AF-S model would focus with the TC17IIE though.

Sorry, I did mean the TC17 IIE; I wasn't aware of the AF restriction however. It focuses fine on my 70-200, albeit a little bit slowly, but for my purposes, that's immaterial. Is this a design limitation, or a case of "it might work, it might not?"

Look for a used 80-200 and a TC17. That'll give you an effective FL on your APS-C sensor of 510mm (or near 'nuf) @ f4.
Mmmmmmm, think you meant an effective 340mm focal length.

.....oh an the TC17 is a lemon from Nikon and should stay in the 1980s where it belongs.)
I hope you're referring to the older model. I have the TC17 IIE without much complaint. With it on the back end of my 300mm f/4 it drops max aperture to f/6.7 and does want to hunt in low light, but I have expected that.

BTW, that's how you get an effective 510mm focal length. :biggrin:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back