What's new

Need a lens

tammymcb

TPF Noob!
Joined
Aug 19, 2010
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hello I have a D200. Hunting a long lens to shoot a distance. want to shoot wildlife. can anyone reocmment one. Need one that will AF thanks tammy
 
I'd recommend a Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR with a [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Nikon TC-14E or [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]TC-17E [/FONT]Teleconverter. If you are on a small budget get the Nikon 70-300mm G.
 
That lens has no VR and glass is less than desireable. Try this one if the ~$2000 price for the good glass is out of reach.

This lens rocks for the $ just lacks speed and ability to use teleconverters.
AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED from Nikon

Unfortunately, if you want real reach you'll need real $ for the better optics and teleconverters.
 
You've given us like zilch information, we need some info about your budget.

If your serious about wildife, buy your self a Gitzo GT5561SGT TRIPODS/KITS with a Wimberley Head Mk II (GIMBALMKII) - Warehouse Express and then get a 600mm Nikon F/4.

Total cost £8000, or get what they are suggesting, I'm using that combo at the moment the 70-200 mm f/2.8 with a TCx2 III and you can get some good shots, check out my Flickr stream for some examples.. and next time tell us about your budget!
 
Formatted raises the most important point - we need an idea of your budget otherwise our suggestions are meaningless. There are options for low and high budgets and without a guide as to what you have and are willing/able to pay we can't give you anything back - all you'll get is a lot of "well I got XYZlens and I think its great" replies which wont' help you at all.
 
Well if you are shooting real wildlife, not urban wildlife you need at least a 400mm. The 400mm f2.8 one of the most versatile due to its range and speed. It easily will accept a TC and retain excellent image quality.

The 500mm f4 or 600mm f4 would also be excellent choices. I shoot wildlife in the mountains of New Mexico and there if you are using anything less than 400mm, and that is on the short side) and manage to fill you viewfinder with a bear you are going to be what we call "DINNER!" :D

Formatted suggestion of a tripod and head are good ones, although I choose the GZGT5541LS since I am almost always close to the ground when shooting. For wildlife I rarely extend any of the leg sections.
 
IMO, you want at least 600mm (300 + 2xt/c or ideally prime) to do distant wildlife, like birds.
 
Hello I have a D200. Hunting a long lens to shoot a distance. want to shoot wildlife. can anyone reocmment one. Need one that will AF thanks tammy

Tamron AF LD 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Tele-Macro - Nikon Mount
Hello,

I have a Tamron 70-300 lens, Nikon mount I'd sell you..

It's listed right now on eBay, for photos and description. :D

Here's the link:

Tamron AF LD 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Tele-Macro - Nikon Mount

Tamron AF LD 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Tele-Macro - Nikon Mount - eBay (item 220725318417 end time Jan-24-11 17:36:35 PST)

Thanks!

Have a nice day,

God Bless,
Ed
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
and manage to fill you viewfinder with a bear you are going to be what we call "DINNER!" :D

You'll love this: The Wildlife Research Institute - The Wildlife Research Institute

That BBC series was brilliant!

Really showed that black bears weren't that dangerous after all!

Oh I think they are still dangerous if you don't know how to react and socialise with them. It does show that with an understanding of them one can interact on a much closer level than many think possible in a totally wild setting.


and manage to fill you viewfinder with a bear you are going to be what we call "DINNER!" :D

You'll love this: The Wildlife Research Institute - The Wildlife Research Institute

True, but I understand this: Timothy Treadwell Incident--A Full Report and Examination

Aye very true indeed - though that said it just shows that bears are a little like people - some are easy going others just want to rip your face off (the only difference is that bears often let you keep you wallet after)
 

That BBC series was brilliant!

Really showed that black bears weren't that dangerous after all!

Oh I think they are still dangerous if you don't know how to react and socialise with them. It does show that with an understanding of them one can interact on a much closer level than many think possible in a totally wild setting.



Aye very true indeed - though that said it just shows that bears are a little like people - some are easy going others just want to rip your face off (the only difference is that bears often let you keep you wallet after)

Yeah, but unlike people, it's not quite so easy to tell which one is Yogi and which one is the "Bald-Headed Bear" from "The Great Outdoors." Apparently Timothy Treadwell couldn't tell either.


Me, I stay a long ways away, down wind from the bears and the mountain lions. I also have a nice big shiny 44 magnum on my hip that I am real good with. :mrgreen: Momma didn't raise no stupid children, just some ugly ones. :lmao:
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom