Need a little help on composition

bdavis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was taking some photos last night just to test my camera and play with the settings, but later on I was reviewing them and decided that I didn't like them as much as I previously thought. I then decided that my composition could use a little work.

Does anyone know of some tips that would help me out besides just going out and shooting?

Also if anyone knows of any good books/online articles that are a good read, that would be great as well.

I recently read The New Manual of Photography by John Hedgecoe. It has a section on technical aspects, like focal lengths, etc, and exposure tips, and then it has a fairly large section on the 'art of photography' where it talks a lot about compositional tips for different subjects. It is written in a style that has exactly one tip/suggestion for each two pages, so its easy to read because you can read it for 5 minutes and put it down, and you can read just one section at a time if you want.

bdavis,
I did a quick search on Google and found this article. It is pretty basic, but gives a nice simple explanation of some good techniques regarding composition. Composition link. I would also check the galleries of some photographers that you admire. See how they are framing their photos. Where is their subject, how are they working with foreground/background, etc. Also you can check out some art. Painters lay out their work in a way that is pleasing to the eye, which is basically what composition is all about.
Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. Looks like I have some reading to do. I do know the basics like the rule of thirds, leading lines, etc but when I go out and shoot I just don't like any images I produce. I guess there really isn't anything fascinating where I live. I'm out in the middle of nowhere.

Reading helps, but I also like Tinfish's suggestion to look at photos or art that you do like, and then study it and try to analyze why you like it. I have found it very rewarding to mimic shots that others do that I like. It's kind of like copying, but its very interesting and helpful.

Here is a link to a review of "The Photographer's Eye". FWIW, it is the best book on composition that I have come across.

well I know whenever I'm composing something I think to myself "can I get a better angle/position on this subject" 90% of the time i say yes and I try to change my position, meaning I might have to get above/below the subject, closer/further away etc.

I was looking at that book and thinking about getting it. I've bought photo books before and been disappointed with some of them, so I as hoping to hear from someone that has that book.

As far as having reference images, I have hundreds of photos on my computer from photographers like I like. I have them broken up into categories like people, animals, landscapes, cars, macro, abstract, etc. I look at them a lot and try to mimic what I see, but I just don't think I have very interesting subjects.

I might have to take a day off from work and have a "photo day" where I just run around town and take pictures, maybe that will give me the practice I need.

Here is a link to a review of "The Photographer's Eye". FWIW, it is the best book on composition that I have come across.

I agree. I haven't bought this yet, but I plan too and have thumbed it a few times in the bookstore. It's the best composition book I've come across by a long shot.

Great, I might have to check it out.

Here's a list of links to many online articles Photography Composition Articles Library

Look to the other arts as well. The same concepts that make for good composition in a painting work in a photograph, and the painters have been at it a lot longer.

If you've got a college with an art program nearby take Drawing 101 and Basic Design classes. They'll do more for improving your compositional skills than any amount of reading.

Just keep looking at images. Try to understand why you like them.

Most reactions

Back