Need a new computer monitor

Reflections

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok so I am sure I am not the only one going crazy :er: trying to find a monitor that gives you the closest colors to your print. I was told a few weeks ago by a fellow photographer that the Samsung Color Innovation monitor would be the best however when I went on Best Buy the reviews by other photographers were not good. Does anyone have some advise on what is tried and true. I am quite frustrated and I need something ASAP! My monitor is not doing the trick! Please help...Thanks! :hug::

The Eizo Colour Edge screens are very good.
http://www.eizo.com/products/graphics/index.asp

Have to edit my post:
I just suggested Eizo since you asked for one of the best. Of course this might be an expensive overkill solution for you.

I agree with the others that maybe calibrating could do a good job already ... also the printer/paper/ink combination can be profiled.

Welcome to the forum.

How accurate to you need to be. To get as accurate as possible, you may need a professional monitor & calibration system that may cost a couple grand.

For less accurate (but still acceptable to most people) results, you can most monitors in conjunction with a hardware calibration device like the ColorVision Spyder.

Monitors do play a big part BUT before you abandon your current monitor, you should follow Mike's advice and try to get a calibration device for your current monitor.

You can purchase the most expensive monitor out there, but it won't be an improvement unless you calibrate it.

B&H Have the X-Rite iOne Display 2 calibrator with software for $380 I think. That's a good start.

If you need a monitor and you need an LCD screen there's research to be done and considerations to be made. Photo editing is best done on inplane switching screens (IPS). These are by far the most expensive of any LCDs, but are necessary since they retain colour uniformity regardless of viewing angle. S-PVA screens may, and I say may with a lot of caution, only just suit your needs for colour accuracy. Twisted nematic (TN) panels should be avoided at all costs. These are great for games feature excellent input lag are cheap but horrid for colour reproduction. Most can't even display the a smooth sRGB gamut because of lack of 8bit colour. If a screen is advertised with a sub 10ms lag it's most likely TN so avoid it.

Now monitor for closest colour for print is probably the NEC SpectraView series of screens specifically the NEC LCD2180WG-LED-SV. But these naturally come at a price (21" @ $3500). The IPS screens mentioned above (Eizo Colour Edge, and I think the Samsung MAY be too) are a good too and cost considerably less. The other option is go for the non-LED spectraview series of screens. I use the NEC LCD2690WUXi SV 26" screen for $1400. Both of these NEC screens come with a iOne Display 2 colorimeter for calibration and feature internal lookup tables so your calibrated colour actually gets uploaded into the display and doesn't just play with your graphic cards gamma curve.

The other main consideration is colour management. Both NEC displays I just mentioned are Wide Gamut displays, even the cheaper one displays 97% of the Adobe RGB gamut which is a pain in the arse when you're looking for colour managed software.

Other options (and I am still recomending NEC here because Eizo have been mentioned already): NEC MultiSync series of screens should all be IPS screens. The LCD2490WUXi is similar to the larger and more colourful brothers in feature wise but displays the sRGB gamut for better compatibility and less colour headaches. It still features internal lookup tables, backlight compensation etc etc.

B&H Have the X-Rite iOne Display 2 calibrator with software for $380 I think. That's a good start.

If you need a monitor and you need an LCD screen there's research to be done and considerations to be made. Photo editing is best done on inplane switching screens (IPS). These are by far the most expensive of any LCDs, but are necessary since they retain colour uniformity regardless of viewing angle. S-PVA screens may, and I say may with a lot of caution, only just suit your needs for colour accuracy. Twisted nematic (TN) panels should be avoided at all costs. These are great for games feature excellent input lag are cheap but horrid for colour reproduction. Most can't even display the a smooth sRGB gamut because of lack of 8bit colour. If a screen is advertised with a sub 10ms lag it's most likely TN so avoid it.

Now monitor for closest colour for print is probably the NEC SpectraView series of screens specifically the NEC LCD2180WG-LED-SV. But these naturally come at a price (21" @ $3500). The IPS screens mentioned above (Eizo Colour Edge, and I think the Samsung MAY be too) are a good too and cost considerably less. The other option is go for the non-LED spectraview series of screens. I use the NEC LCD2690WUXi SV 26" screen for $1400. Both of these NEC screens come with a iOne Display 2 colorimeter for calibration and feature internal lookup tables so your calibrated colour actually gets uploaded into the display and doesn't just play with your graphic cards gamma curve.

The other main consideration is colour management. Both NEC displays I just mentioned are Wide Gamut displays, even the cheaper one displays 97% of the Adobe RGB gamut which is a pain in the arse when you're looking for colour managed software.

Other options (and I am still recomending NEC here because Eizo have been mentioned already): NEC MultiSync series of screens should all be IPS screens. The LCD2490WUXi is similar to the larger and more colourful brothers in feature wise but displays the sRGB gamut for better compatibility and less colour headaches. It still features internal lookup tables, backlight compensation etc etc.

I have an IPS screen, and will agree. TN is pretty horrible.

Mine is the Dell 2007WFP. You'll have to check if the screen is still an IPS panel or not...but I highly recommend any of Dells WFP line.

I have heard awesome things about Apple's displays, as well as Dell's top of the line ones. In fact, I have heard nothing but good things about both Apple's and Dell's. Apple's are a bit old now though, and an update is up in the air at the moment, so I'd say Dell's top monitors would be a safe, solid choice.

Mine is the Dell 2007WFP. You'll have to check if the screen is still an IPS panel or not...but I highly recommend any of Dells WFP line.

Be careful. You are right not all in the WFP line are IPS. The 2408WFP is the one I was looking at buying before the NEC. This is a wide gamut 24" S-PVA display and rated rather horribly in comparison for colour consistency.

I have heard awesome things about Apple's displays, as well as Dell's top of the line ones. In fact, I have heard nothing but good things about both Apple's and Dell's. Apple's are a bit old now though, and an update is up in the air at the moment, so I'd say Dell's top monitors would be a safe, solid choice.

So you missed that Apple recently settled a class action lawsuit about misleading advertising in their macbook / macbook pros saying they supported full 8bit colour but infact were dithering the colours to make it look as such.

But a reputable company wouldn't try screwing consumers twice would they? Oh wait someone sued them yesterday about their new 20" and 24" displays being TN but being advertised as IPS: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/03/31/apple_hit_with_another_millions_of_colors_lawsuit.html

But in fairness to you the older 20" and 24" apple displays outclassed Dell's IPS screens and set the bar pretty high.

Be careful. You are right not all in the WFP line are IPS. The 2408WFP is the one I was looking at buying before the NEC. This is a wide gamut 24" S-PVA display and rated rather horribly in comparison for colour consistency.

So you missed that Apple recently settled a class action lawsuit about misleading advertising in their macbook / macbook pros saying they supported full 8bit colour but infact were dithering the colours to make it look as such.

But a reputable company wouldn't try screwing consumers twice would they? Oh wait someone sued them yesterday about their new 20" and 24" displays being TN but being advertised as IPS: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/03/31/apple_hit_with_another_millions_of_colors_lawsuit.html

But in fairness to you the older 20" and 24" apple displays outclassed Dell's IPS screens and set the bar pretty high.

Nope, I didn't miss that. I just don't see the big deal? Apple gets sued ALL the time. But that doesn't lead me to believe their products are shoddy, in the least. And for the record, my 1920x1200 display in my 17" MacBook Pro is by far the best display I've ever used, just so you know.

And yet, you still leave Apple's Cinema Displays untouched in your attack against Apple. Which, I find odd considering those are the displays I was talking about. And don't try and attack those displays for being in some way plagued by misleading advertising or whatever, because the panels are the same Dell uses in their high-end monitors. Unless they are both lying corporations.

Btw, the Apple Cinema Displays have the same components as the big Samsungs, which cost less. They're not as cool looking though.

EIZO for the win, of course. Everything else is not even second.

EIZO for the win, of course. Everything else is not even second.

Users of the Cintiq 21X might disagree - after using the 12WX with my MacBook I decided on the 21X instead of a normal screen for my main computers, and I'd choose the NEC SpectraView Reference 21 (LCD2180WG-LED, as mentioned by Garbz) over an Eizo. They're all good, however.

Best,
Helen

And don't try and attack those displays for being in some way plagued by misleading advertising or whatever, because the panels are the same Dell uses in their high-end monitors. Unless they are both lying corporations.

You miss read my intentions of the post. I did in fact say that the Apple screens previously bested Dells. I am just saying that don't buy an Apple display RIGHT NOW, because unless you choose very carefully are you sure you'll get an older IPS panel or a newer much worse TN panel. I said do some research because your blanket "I've heard good things about Apple displays" would include both good AND bad ones. Also if you dig deeper not ALL MacBooks had the same display either.

Don't get me wrong for the most part Apple make fantastic products. I just get ****ty at a few very shoddy business decisions they make every so often which for whatever reason still gets defended by Apple fans.

/Edit: If they are the same panels as Dell's "top of the line" then they are S-PVA. But given that the Apple Cinema display recently slapped Dell's new 24" in a review (something I also said) it would lead me to believe they are different.

Oh and yes Dell is evil too. Here in Australia the ACCC has upheld 2 complaints about misleading advertising last year against Dell ;)

Apple Cinema Display is what I use as a secondary monitor to my Macbook Pro (Or my iMac, depends on which of these I am working on). My prints come out looking what they look like on my monitor as long as I calibrate my monitor to adobe rgb and use the ICC Profiles that came from my printer company. And before you spend any money have you seen if your printer company offers ICC profiles and if you can calibrate you monitor manually or see what what profiles are available for your display and recalibrate your monitor. Going and buying another display may not help. If you go that route go to place that has a no hassle return policy and that way if the one you choose is not working, exchange it for another and if you still have issues return it and buy a Calibration device, or get the device first and it it doesn't work return it for a monitor. Calibration devices work most of the time, but they can be buggy and like with monitors they range all over the place in price. It could be as simple as getting ICC profiles from you Printer company, try the free options first.

Are you sure it's not your printer and software?

BTW, I recently bought a Samsung 22" LCD, and while I'm not into printing from a computer, what I do print matches what was on the screen. This is no boost for Samsung, or even LCD's, mind you, because video really sucks compared to my old CRT.

Wanted to bump this thread! Reflections, did you decide on a monitor? I am also shopping for a 22 or 24" in the price range of $300 - $400. Anymore suggestions of brand or retailer? I've been researching on newegg and have always heard good things about viewsonics and liked my previous crt. The Sceptre seems to have decent reviews.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back