Need a new computer monitor

Garbz.........I used some of your information to research for a monitor and none of the sites specify IPS, S PVA, or TN. You always have useful info., so how do I tell? :er: er, I'm confused!

Errr search for a review on the specific monitor they can normally tell you.

I can tell you with certainty all NEC Multisync, Eizo ColourEdge, and many of the Dell screens are IPS screen. NEC bury this information in their technical marketing PDF you can download on any of their monitor's webpages.

http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/s-ips-lcd-list.php Here's a list I found, but it's no where near as "comprehensive" as they claim to be.

Thanks so much for your help Garbz! I was looking at newegg, dell, hp and bestbuy; now I want another computer too! :D Now all I need is money! lol

Question...is TFT the same or similar to IPS? Because I saw a NEC Multisync monitor on dell.com that is listed as a TFT, also a few other brands on B&H are listed as TFT.

No TFT and LCD are terms used interchangeably on websites. LCD is the technology itself, and TFT (ThinFilmTransisor) in the most basic sense is what you call an array of LCD pixels.

The best way I think would be to do a google search for the monitor and IPS. If it doesn't show a decent number of results then you can assume it's not. e.g.:

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=NEC+Multisync+IPS
2nd result: "The MultiSync models are produced in two versions that have different types of the matrix. The LCD2190UXi has an S-IPS matrix from NEC"
3rd result: "IPS-based modules, inarguably the highest performing LCD technology available ... Pricing and Availability: The NEC MultiSync LCD2490Uxi AND LCD2690Uxi are ..."
5th Result: "The multitude of features included in the NEC MultiSync LCD1990FX, ... Professional LCD monitor with S-IPS (Super-Inplane-Switching) TFT display ..."

If you find a screen you think you like a review found through google should tell you the rest.

Gotcha. The reason I ask is because I've been looking for the NEC multisync because you said they were all IPS and on the NEC website, and others, they say the type is TFT so I wasn't sure if that was the same thing or not.

It never hurts to double and triple check anyway. I was lead to believe that all Multisyncs are IPS.

BUMP ** I need a new monitor and I'm looking into Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB 22" CRT Monitor used for 150.00 Is that a good deal? AND is this a good monitor.... I hear that CRT monitors are better then LCDs. Thoughts?

You guys realize that there are only about 5 LCD panel manufacturers in the world and that just about every monitor brand uses them interchangeably, don't you?

Yeah but how does that help the people who have no idea which panel is used in which model by which company :p Anyway we weren't really discussing the merits of brand as much as the merits of panel technologies.

Zendianah yeah CRTs were the choice for viewing photos. They don't suffer many of the problems of LCDs like uneven backlights, uneven colour distribution, low viewing angles, etc. I used a CRT for years until it died, thankfully too I get much less eyestrain with my LCD panel now anyway.

Yeah but how does that help the people who have no idea which panel is used in which model by which company :p Anyway we weren't really discussing the merits of brand as much as the merits of panel technologies.

Zendianah yeah CRTs were the choice for viewing photos. They don't suffer many of the problems of LCDs like uneven backlights, uneven colour distribution, low viewing angles, etc. I used a CRT for years until it died, thankfully too I get much less eyestrain with my LCD panel now anyway.

thank you garbz.. I think I will go ahead and spend the 150.00 -- its used but I can save money for a nice NEC LCD. Right now that is not in my price range. :)

Something to bear in mind for those still using CRTs. The older the monitor, the less likely a calibrator (Like the spyder) will be able to help you. According to the manual that came with mine, anyway.

I don't have it handy at the moment, but I don't know that the same can be said for LCDs, so it's definitely worth the time to do the research first.

That said, if you're using an older CRT, it may well be worth the money to buy a new LCD instead of trying to calibrate the CRT, since there's a possibility you won't see much improvement.

True an old CRT is potentially harder to calibrate as the tubes are slowly giving out. But... I would still prefer a display that lacks contrast due to over enthusiastic calibration, than a $150 LCD like my dad's where the colour changes depending on exactly where the chair is positioned at the desk.

For $150 if you can put up with them and find working ones, a CRT, especially a good one like a one of the Mitsubishi, Sony, or Viewsonics Pro models will give you much greater bang for your buck, even if the investment is likely short lived and probably not that good for your eyes in the long run.

Most reactions

Back