Need a solid wide angle lens that doesn't cost a fortune.

Rob_

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am interested in some Landscape/Cityscape photography, and I was wanting to look into getting a wide angle lens, most are prime lenses. For one reason or another I was looking for a wide angle zoom, but they're all L lenses which are outrageous for me right now, or EF-S lenses which I do not want. So my question is which do you prefer? Wide Angle or Wide Angle Zoom? If so, what are your suggestions?

If you are not planning to spend a lot of money to buy multiple lenses... just really save your money and get 24-105L. It is around $850 used. You should be able to find one easy because that is a kit lens for 5DII. That is one lens I want if I didnt have 7 lenses.

Hmm, don't think I saw that one, but I like the way that sounds.

I have a Canon EOS Rebel T3 (1100D), I'm toying with the idea of going to the 5D if the price drops when Canon announces their new line.

What camera are you using? I assume it's a 'crop body'?

I assume you're saying that you don't want EF-S lenses because you'll someday upgrade to a full frame camera? That's a good strategy, except when it comes to ultra wide angle lenses. To get that ultra wide angle view, on a crop sensor camera, you are going to need something in the range of 8 to 12mm. And they just don't make lenses that short for 'full frame' (that aren't fish-eye or stupidly expensive).

So I'd suggest that this is where you can/should make an exception to your 'no EF-S' rule. Look at something like the Canon EF-S 10-22mm or the Sigma 10-20mm or 8-16mm or the Tokina 10-17mm or Tokina 11-16mm F2.8.

When you do upgrade to a full frame camera, just sell the lens buy a 'full frame' lens.
I sold my 10-22mm for the same price that I paid for a used 17-40mm F4 L when I upgraded to a full frame camera.

I think mike replied before you mentioned the 5D

With a crop body, I can tell you from years of experience that for "traditional landscape" meaning "vista, or wide wiew" that you will want something wider than 24mm at the wide point. I will suggest a good lens I use on one of my crop bodies, that is a Tamron http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/423714-REG/Tamron_AF016C700_17_50mm_f_2_8_XR_Di.html

I believe this is the 2nd rendition of this excellent lens, I have the original and use it on ony of my crop bodies.

DISCLAIMER - for those that will chime in and say something about a 70-200 can be used in landscape. Yes, you can do anything you want, sure.....and any fool knows what the OP means when he says landscape. So please save the argument on this one. I'm talking about "vista" or "wide view" landscape.

Last edited:
I currently have the 70-200MM F4L, I really like the idea of the lens mentioned by Schwetty, and I also like the idea of the lens you mentioned, Joey, now you say it's on a crop body, is this lens a crop lens for FF?

Edit:

I currently own the Canon 50MM 1.8 as well.

Double Edit:

Does the 24-105L perform well in low light? I noticed the F4, and it made me wonder.

I currently have the 70-200MM F4L, I really like the idea of the lens mentioned by Schwetty, and I also like the idea of the lens you mentioned, Joey, now you say it's on a crop body, is this lens a crop lens for FF?

Edit:

I currently own the Canon 50MM 1.8 as well.

Double Edit:

Does the 24-105L perform well in low light? I noticed the F4, and it made me wonder.

Rob, no, this is a crop lens, but and I don't think you can use it on the FF, checking now....
Note! Di-II lenses cannot be used with digital SLR cameras using image sensors that are larger than that of an APS-C size imager (e.g. 1D series), or with 35mm film SLR cameras.

So, really, the reason I thought of it was because you may be awhile before getting the FF. Really if you are going to do anything, I'd suggest an L that is the 17-40 for not too much more

sorry, clicked send because phone rang here.

Get a lens that you can take to the FF once you go that route. If you are going to spend, that much, might as well make it worth the long term. I have both of those lenses and would reccomend either for it's intended purposes.

A lot of good feedback, I've narrowed it down to the 17-40 and the 24-105, I personally like the range the 24-105 offers, but I understand where you're coming from on the ultra wide at 17-40 as well.

A lot of good feedback, I've narrowed it down to the 17-40 and the 24-105, I personally like the range the 24-105 offers, but I understand where you're coming from on the ultra wide at 17-40 as well.
Those are good lenses...but they won't be all that wide until you upgrade to full frame.

I have the T1i and have put the 24-105 on it as the main lens. Very good image quality, good range for most of my shooting. The f/4 max aperture is somewhat limiting, but most of the indoor shots I do with flash, and many of the outdoor shots I do with a tripod, so the aperture isn't really limiting me in my shooting. If I was shooting sports, that would be another story. On the crop body the 24mm isn't very wide, and I've added the Canon 10-22mm EF/S lens. Image quality (for a wide angle) is good. In actual use, I rarely use the widest part of the zoom (at 10mm). When I do, I have to very careful about its orientation to avoid tops of building falling in and other geometric distortions. Of course, sometimes those distortions are exactly the effect I'm going for, but then it's purposeful.

All my other lenses are compatible with the full-frame format if/when I decide to go there, but the 10-22mm is a very good performer, and it's something that I can use NOW. If/when I upgrade to full frame, I'll probably sell it and go with the 17-40 which is about the same range on FF as 10-22 is on a crop.

Those are good lenses...but they won't be all that wide until you upgrade to full frame.

I understand on the crop body it won't be too wide, I'm ok with that for now as I definitely intend to go FF as soon as the 5D prices come down a bit (hoping in the next few days the upgrades roll out)

well.. you didnt tell me you had 50 and 70-200. Then I would really consider that 17-40L.

Most reactions

Back