What's new

Need a Tripod around $100

max3k

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jun 11, 2009
Messages
497
Reaction score
10
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I need a tripod that will hold my rebel xs gripped and the 24-70L thats $100 or less...any thoughts
 
a good tripod? I don't know if thats possible..
 
Go to a camera shop and check them out, I bought a Vista Ranger tripod (it was only 50) and I am not the happiest with it. It works, legs are smooth and easy to adjust, has a quick release plate, lightweight aluminum, has 2 built in levels. but I really hate the geared center column though. I wish I would have bought one with quick release lever for the center. B&H has this one for 34.00! It holds my 70-200L with my XSi and grip just fine. I am happy for the price, but for another 100.00 I would have been much happier.

Do a little research, check some reviews, feel them out in person, (then go find the one you like online for 30% less!) There seems to be a big difference between low end and "good". Maybe someone will offer up a few suggestions and then you can go try out a few of the models listed.
 
Last edited:
No, you don't. You need to save up some money and get a decent set of legs and head. I'd look for a Manfrotto 488 head and set of 055 legs as a minimum. Used, this should come in at not much more than $150 200. The thing that you're trusting to support thousands of dollars of fairly delicate gear is NOT the place to scrimp. If you were a construction worker would you buy the cheapest scaffold?
 
still looking for ideas....
 
Tripods are cheap and/or light-weight and/or strong; you can only pick two.

For $100, you'll get crap. For $250, you can get a decent Manfrotto legs and head combo.
 
not going to spend 250
 
i was also looking for a descent tripod that woudl support my rebel xs. im willing to spend $150 max
 
not going to spend 250
Nope; you'll spend $350 or more.

First, you'll spend $100 on the tripod that you find in a generic electronics box store (gag me). You'll enjoy it for a few weeks because you've never owned a tripod before, then realize that it's big frustration because it's either too heavy, too flimsy or too finicky. Since you've only had it for a few weeks, you'll tell yourself that you need to "get your money's worth". After you use it for a number of months and you decide you've put up with this crap long enough, you'll break down and spend the money on a proper tripod.

I'm just trying to save you money, here, that's all. I understand the hesitation to spend that sort of money on three sticks with a hinge; I struggled with it, to, but I'm glad I ended up just buying a the proper tripod that I did.
 
not going to spend 250
Nope; you'll spend $350 or more.

First, you'll spend $100 on the tripod that you find in a generic electronics box store (gag me). You'll enjoy it for a few weeks because you've never owned a tripod before, then realize that it's big frustration because it's either too heavy, too flimsy or too finicky. Since you've only had it for a few weeks, you'll tell yourself that you need to "get your money's worth". After you use it for a number of months and you decide you've put up with this crap long enough, you'll break down and spend the money on a proper tripod.

I'm just trying to save you money, here, that's all. I understand the hesitation to spend that sort of money on three sticks with a hinge; I struggled with it, to, but I'm glad I ended up just buying a the proper tripod that I did.
Good piece of advice :thumbup:
 
I got a Velbon Sherpa 200 for about $100. It is a good solid tripod with a very nice smooth operating tilt/pan head.

I also got a Manfrotto 190 QC with a 352RC ball head without a quick release plate @ a pawn shop for $50+tax. Got two plates from Hong Kong for the cost of one locally.

Consider used for better value.
 
i have a induro a013 and vanguard sbh 250. total was $105. It support a d80, 24-70 f2.8, and sb 600 effortlessly.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom