Need advice on camera purchase

Bali_Flipper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone. Just joined the forum. Im starting to get into making knives and am looking for a camera to archive my knives. I've been looking at the Sony Nex-3n. Its within my budget and seems to get good reviews, but I just dont know if its right for me. I take close up photos and they need to be very clear and detailed to show the intricacies in the knives. Eventually I will be able to afford a macro lens, but until then will this camera work for me? Thanks for any advice

This is a system camera. Without a lens, this camera cannot make any photographs.

I realize this. I was talking about the lense that comes with the kit.

Welcome!

Search here for threads on your topic. There have been several threads discussing product photography and even knives specifically.

I realize this. I was talking about the lense that comes with the kit.

Whether the lens that comes with the camera will work for what you want is unknown at this time, however I suspect that you probably won't need a macro lens. Unless you want to photograph just a small section of the edge.

If you are talking about a camera that will do real macro then I think you might better consider a good point and shoot which has macro rather then a camera mirrorless or DSLR that comes with a kit lens.
You can get good shots with a kit lens but it is no macro lens and for that you will need to get an extra macro lens which probably double your purchase price.

So if you need close shots but not macro then the Sony might be enough but if you want very close pictures which will give good details of your collection then consider a good point and shoot.

My recommendation is Canon G15 or Canon G16 which I believe you can get as close as 1cm away from your subject and these cameras are amazing, tailor made for photography fans with full control similar to any DSLR.

For product photography, lens quality and lighting has a lot to do with making a clear and detailed photograph.

If your knives are polished and shiny you will have to be careful with light angles as a means of minimizing reflections that diminish clarity and detail.
A very good and often recommended resource for learning the fundamentals of photographic lighting is Light Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting

Since knives are inanimate you will be able to use constant lighting rather than strobe lighting (flash).
Constant lighting will allow you to easily see how the light is falling on your knives as you set up the lighting.

With strobe lighting the flash is very short making light set up more troublesome. However, mono-light type strobe lights often have a 'modeling lamp' which is a constant light that is less powerful than the strobe light itself. consequently, the quality of the light from the modeling lamp is less than the quality of the light from the flash.

Understanding Camera Lenses
Camera Lens Quality: MTF, Resolution & Contrast

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Great. Thanks everyone for the helpful and friendly advice and recommendations. I'm sure I will be back for more questions. Please add any more recommdations you think will help. I check this often.

Last edited:
It really depends on how close up the photos you are planning to take. As Goodguy had mentioned, some of the point and shoot camera offer close up shots. However, the camera is too close to the subject, lighting is a challenge.

This shot was taken with Canon G11 and was lighted by a shoot thru umbrella (use the on camera flash to trigger the optical slave) Since the front section of the lens is very close to the subject, I'd too position the light to a lower position to avoid shadow from the camera/lens.

9417969669_09113094e5_z.jpg

As for the whether NEX-3n will work, I pretty sure it will once you have the right lens. For the lens that ship with the camera, according to the spec of the lens, the min focus distance is 9.8" (24.89 cm). So that may or may not work since it depends on how much small details you are looking for. I think it maybe better for you to go to a retailer and try it and see if it is close enough.

Ok. So I think I'm going to go the digital route istead of mirrorless so i can learn. I've been suggested the canon g15,g16. I've been researching and pricing these. These sound like great cameras for the money. What about the Sony dsc-rx100. Im not favoring the Sony brand though it seems like it, just seems like they make good entry level cameras. Do you think the Sony is worth the few extra bucks compared to the canon g16.

Most reactions

Back