Need advice on choosing camera

tt74rocky

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Im looking for a camera that will have the following.

- Good resolution/quality image
- Uses a SDHC card
- built-in flash
- Has some zoom
- Has a rechargable battery

- Can take pictures while objects are moving
- Can take pictures when the lights are very low
- Has automatic options (autofocus, autolight, whitebalance, etc.) and manual options also

Help me find this beauty ;)
Thank you

Last edited:
Have you been to a store and looked at the different options? This criteria meets a broad list of available models. Are there any two your stuck between or do you just want us to tell you what to buy. :confused:

Well... I want to buy from the Internet. Theres isnt any good local photography store where I live.... :)

My budget is around 300$. I can consider putting more tho...

I really just want the best bang for the buck!

Pretty much every dSLR camera meet you criterias. Cameras have come a long way. Do you have a budget?

Nikon D40 is a great overall for someone starting out. It may be lacking few of the criterias. The autofocus is in the lens, so you have to buy certain lenses, as with many Nikon cameras.

Low light is done through the lens mostly.

You'll probably be over $300 by purchasing the body and a basic 18-55mm (VR) lens.

He was writing his post at the same time you were if you notice the time frame.

With only $300, cross off half the things on your wish list. Start with "can take multiple pictures really fast", "Can take pictures when the lights are very low" and "changeable lens at best.".

A new, entry-level dSLR will cost you $500 with just a single kit lens, and can't do any tjhe multiple pictures really fast or low light wants you have.

To get your entire list, increase your budget 3.5 times.

Good luck with your search.

He was writing his post at the same time you were if you notice the time frame.

With only $300, cross off half the things on your wish list. Start with "can take multiple pictures really fast", "Can take pictures when the lights are very low" and "changeable lens at best.".

A new, entry-level dSLR will cost you $500 with just a single kit lens, and can't do any tjhe multiple pictures really fast or low light wants you have.

To get your entire list, increase your budget 3.5 times.

Good luck with your search.
Or check used places like craigslist or ebay. I got a Nikon D70 in almost mint condition for $170 from craigslist that does all of the above (depending on the lens of course)

Or check used places like craigslist or ebay. I got a Nikon D70 in almost mint condition for $170 from craigslist that does all of the above (depending on the lens of course)
Yes, there is always the used market if you are familiar with cameras at all.

The D70 sucks in low light because it has a CCD sensor and is 2 generations old now (launched Jan, 2004), and doesn't have a fps rate that I would call, "can take multiple pictures really fast", so I beg to differ that it fits the bill the OP listed. ;)

The D70 doesn't have face recognition, and it's very likely that for $170 you didn't get a lens with it.

What if i change some criteras?

- Good resolution/quality image
- Uses a SDHC card
- built-in flash
- Has some zoom
- Has a rechargable battery

- Can take pictures while objects are moving
- Can take pictures when the lights are very low
- Has automatic options (autofocus, autolight, whitebalance, etc.) and manual options also

Can I get a camera with all this for around 300$? I can squeeze some more in but not much :)

The low light part, is the problem.

Not only do you need a camera that has good high ISO capability, you also need a lens that can open wide.

An example at the least amount of $$$'s for low light performance based on new gear, would be a Nikon D5000 with a Nikon AF 50 mm f/1.8D lens, about $750, just for low light. For a zoom capability you would need to buy another lens, and the loewer priced zoom lenses can't open wide enought to really do low light work.

But, that is Nikon's least expensive current lens and you would have to manually focus it on a D5000.

Nikon - D5000 Digital SLR Camera (Camera Body) - 25452 - B&H

Nikon - Normal AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Autofocus Lens - 2137 - B&H

Forget the SDHC card requirement, and a host of low-cost,used d-slr cameras will slot into the $350 price range on the real-world market, meaning eBay and other auction sites, Craigslist,and local classified advertisements. Not sure what you mean by take multiple shots really fast, but you'll probably be able to find a used Nikon or Pentax or maybe a Canon d-slr from the 2004-2005 era at the $350 price point with careful shopping. Everything is relative, or so somebody once said; the low-light capabilities of an older d-slr is better than those of a new P&S digital that noises up at ISO 160 or higher, so...

I've seen some D40s gong for $250'ish on
Craigslist, and the 18-55 kit lens for less
than $100. You could start with that set-up,
and get more lenses down the road when
your finances allow. 0.02

You can pick up a Canon 300D on ebay for $250-300 with the standard 18-55mm lens. The 300D isn't a high end DSLR, but for your budget and requirements it should work relatively well. It uses Compact Flash instead of SDHC, but you can get rather large CF cards. A lot of it's performance, like any SLR, is going to be based on the lens you have attached.

With the standard lens, it will freeze a water fountain's droplets on a sunny day. It will take good low light shots only if the scene is still. If you get a "faster" lens (a lower f/stop), it will perform better in low light. Here's how it stacks up against your list:

-High Resolution: 6.3MP is decent. There's better out there, but you're going to pay. I'm happy with the resolution unless I need to really crop in close.
-SDHC Card: Nope. Compact Flash. Still a good card, tho.
-Built in flash: Yup! Plus a hot-shoe for external flashes.
-Zoom: The standard lens has the equivalent of a point and shoot (probably around "3x"), but you can always get longer zoom lenses later.
-Rechargeable battery: Yes. And it's pretty long lasting, too.

-Captures moving objects: Yes, if there's decent light or a "fast" lens is attached.
-Low light: Yes, but the lower the light, the less things can move without blurring.
-Auto/manual options: Everthing from "green" mode to full automatic. It also has different presets like portrait, lanscape, action, macro, etc.

Most reactions

Back