Need advice on digital camera for night life photography...

hugoboss_1983

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am wondering what camera can I purchase to use for candid night life photography like the picture collage that I posted in the link below, to have those effects of high quality with this awesome contrasts.

I would like to know what camera would you recommend me, and/or do I need more stuff beside the camera like a flash or something like that to obtain that quality. And of course I am seeking an answer with the lowest prices you can give me.

Thanks in advance.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o50/hugoboss_1983/photocollage-1.jpg

For a Canon based approach (not saying you have to go canon, but as a canon user, this is what I know)

Canon 30D (can go up to ISO 3200 for low light)
Canon 580EX flash
Canon EF-S 17-55 1:2.8 IS USM (image stability and a max aperture of 2.8 for low light)

All of this would near $3,000 but be one of the best night combinations you could get.

Edit: sorry you said candid, a DSLR may not be what you want (you never said you did though) people would definitely see this massive magnesium bodied camera, I'm not good with P&S knowledge but I'm sure someone could help you out.

EDIT again: P.S. you may want to get a good tripod or monopod too. Not like... $500 good, but like $100 good.

Well, those pics in the link definitely are not candid. The people are posing for them.

How much money are you looking to spend?

Those type of pictures are big in nightclubs in Europe. Believe me I've seen all sorts of cameras used there. I have even seen people use point and shoots for this purpose BUT those with hotshoes like the higher end Nikon Coolpix series. They then typically bolt a large flash bigger than the camera on top :lol:

The camera I saw used most often were the XT, and D70 with some very expensive f/2.8 lenses and top end flash units on it. However at some point I wonder why if they could afford the $2500 for the 17-55mm f/2.8 they didn't go for a D200 and the same with the XT with the L series lens.

How much money are you looking to spend?

The least I have to spend the better. I just wanna to have the pics with the same effects on those pics, or if not the same effect, very similar, with the cheapest digital camera, lense and flash I can get.

Thanks a lot for the support you are giving me so far by the way.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back