Need advice on investing in 4k camera for video and photography

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the rule is that if you want 4K, you have to spend $4K. That’s why my camera only has 1080P, because I could only afford 1,080 pennies.

Hey, everyone, thanks for reporting all the spammedy spam spam! :)

Just a reminder that if you are going to quote the spam post to note that it has been reported, please remember to remove the links from the quoted text, like Sparky did above.

Thanks! Now go shoot some pictures ;)

Just a reminder that if you are going to quote the spam post to note that it has been reported, please remember to remove the links from the quoted text, like Sparky did above.

I don't know if this forum software supports it, but I've seen other forums that will tell a potential poster that the thread is over say, 120 days old without replies before they try to reply. There have been a fair number of old threads dug-up in the short time that I've been here that probably didn't need resurrection as the original poster is long since gone.

I don't know if this forum software supports it, but I've seen other forums that will tell a potential poster that the thread is over say, 120 days old without replies before they try to reply. There have been a fair number of old threads dug-up in the short time that I've been here that probably didn't need resurrection as the original poster is long since gone.

Very often in these cases, the poster is a spammer, so I am not sure a warning will really deter them ;). But it's a good point to consider, so I will "report" this suggestion to bring it to the attention of the admins.

This is based on my limited knowledge on video recording with my Sony RX100 III and RX10 III. (Both are older models, the newer models RX100 V and RX10 IV)
Both cameras are great for recording 4K video. However, RX10 has a mic input but not the case with the RX100. So a external audio recording device is needed for better audio recording with RX100. I am currently using a Tascam DR-05. (A newer model is DR-05X)

To be honest, it maybe better if you are using a external audio recording anyway. Most of the time, you want to mic closer to the sound source. So mounting a mic and the external audio recording on a mic stand with a boom arm is better when position the mic right above the subject but not appear in the video. Otherwise, you will need to have a long audio cable running back from the mic to the camera that support audio input.

You can sync the audio with the video with software manually or automatically. Just start the video and audio recording and then clap your hands 3 times and the software should be able to sync them for you based on the sharp peaks of the audio pattern.

As for external monitor, both cameras has micro-hdmi. So you can connect an external monitor to the camera. The main differences between the RX10 series and the RX100 series are the size, price and lens (RX10 cost more, heavier and bigger and the lens has a longer reach)

Of course, other 4K capable cameras most likely should be pretty good as well. If you like to change lens, then you need to look for either mirrorless or DSLR type cameras especially you want to shoot a scene with shallow Depth of View with a wide aperture lens and larger recording format.

The RX100 series does not have a microphone jack. So you cannot hook up an external mic. Also, 4k only runs for 5 minutes before shutting off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back