Need advice on investing in 4k camera for video and photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'mAWitch

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello, I am internet personality and I also am in the adult industry.

I am in need of a 4k quality camera that is good for shooting scenes of myself and for taking good photographs.

I also need a mic

Does anyone have a good camera / lens setup they can refer me to?

I am totally new to this but I need to invest and jump right in.

My budget is $1500

Thank you!

You most likely will want to have the flip screen, so you can see yourself on the monitor, while you are in front of the camera; that feature, a "flip screen" that revolves so you can see yourself while being video'd, is a huge bonus among V-loggers.

You most likely will want to have the flip screen, ....

Or an ad-hoc wifi connection to a smart phone or tablet.

Not the same thing, and it adds the necessity of having a second mount and support for the tablet or phone, so the camera's viewpoint while it films can be seen from in front of the camera; when you only need to tripod-mount the camera, alone, and flip the screen around, then you only need one tripod mount, and one tripod mount. However, yeah, WiFi or Near Field Communication (NFC) can be useful, since it will allow a smartphone or tablet to function as a monitor, and with the right app, perhaps even control the camera (shutter,etc).

As far as it goes, when one is "investing" in photography equipment, $1,500 is a very small budget; cameras and lenses are expensive, and many of the sub-$1,000 cameras have limitations, like poor crop-factor that will make normal-sized-room wide-angle shots basically either very difficult, or impossible. Or no 4k video capability. ir no external microphone port. You are going to want to have good sound.

As far as the ad-hoc smart phone monitoring capability sparky mentioned: it's very likely that if the camera is too far away to literally SEE the monitor, that you'll want the ability to send the images to a phone or tablet, so they can be seen during the shooting sessions.

Not the same thing, and it adds the necessity of having a second mount and support for the tablet or phone, so the camera's viewpoint while it films can be seen from in front of the camera; when you only need to tripod-mount the camera, alone, and flip the screen around, then you only need one tripod mount, and one tripod mount. However, yeah, WiFi or Near Field Communication (NFC) can be useful, since it will allow a smartphone or tablet to function as a monitor, and with the right app, perhaps even control the camera (shutter,etc).

I've never found any need to 'mount' my smartphone when I'm using it as a viewfinder when shooting selfie-videos. I just use something far handier and more versatile. They're called 'hands'.

480sparky said:
I've never found any need to 'mount' my smartphone when I'm using it as a viewfinder when shooting selfie-videos. I just use something far handier and more versatile. They're called 'hands'.

You MIGHT want to re-read the OP's post...She's in the adult industry...she's gonna be needing those "hands" to do other things. Maybe you missed that? Your smart-assed comment is kind of falling flat in light of the OP's actual need for a camera for a specific use. I'm a former camera salesman, and a good one, so I understand that one needs to _listen to_ the buyer, and understand _their_ needs. Your needs are unimportant here. I doubt you'll be making images to sell to others. The OP is not making "selfie videos", but something else. In one of the biggest cash-generating genres today.

" I also am in the adult industry." and also

"I am in need of a 4k quality camera that is good for shooting scenes of myself and for taking good photographs"

You MIGHT want to re-read the OP's post...She's in the adult industry...she's gonna be needing those "hands" to do other things. Maybe you missed that? Your smart-assed comment is kind of falling flat in light of the OP's actual need for a camera for a specific use. I'm a former camera salesman, and a good one, so I understand that one needs to _listen to_ the buyer, and understand _their_ needs. Your needs are unimportant here. I doubt you'll be making images to sell to others. The OP is not making "selfie videos", but something else. In one of the biggest cash-generating genres today.

" I also am in the adult industry." and also

"I am in need of a 4k quality camera that is good for shooting scenes of myself and for taking good photographs"

I guess the concept of using the device to frame and compose the scene, then putting the device somewhere else is foreign to you?

I am willing to up my budget for a camera that's really worth it.

With the budget upped, what would you guys suggest for cameras?

Those lists are helpful but they seem to be the less professional types

I am willing to up my budget for a camera that's really worth it.

With the budget upped, what would you guys suggest for cameras?

Those lists are helpful but they seem to be the less professional types
I attempted to provide a realistic range of choices, most of which were within your stated budget, and many of which included the two options that I assumed you actually needed.

If your budget is unlimited, then you can get a professional grade video camera with accessories, a monitor, a professional grade microphone, a dedicated editing station, professional grade lighting, and really go for it.

Good luck!

Filming and taking pictures of yourself is quite difficult. It’s hard enough to focus on posing and what you’re doing in front of the camera but to add to that all that needs to be done to control the camera increases the difficulty quite a bit. Is there anyone you could trust to film or photograph you or is it just you?

Many cameras will let you tether them to a smartphone or tablet so that you can see what the camera sees and control it remotely. You’d still need to position the camera (most likely on a tripod) before hand.

Are you doing live videos or something you’ll record, edit, and upload?

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

I just remembered that the tethering option had been discussed already. I think it would still be a good option for you though if you’re completely solo.

Last edited:
This is based on my limited knowledge on video recording with my Sony RX100 III and RX10 III. (Both are older models, the newer models RX100 V and RX10 IV)
Both cameras are great for recording 4K video. However, RX10 has a mic input but not the case with the RX100. So a external audio recording device is needed for better audio recording with RX100. I am currently using a Tascam DR-05. (A newer model is DR-05X)

To be honest, it maybe better if you are using a external audio recording anyway. Most of the time, you want to mic closer to the sound source. So mounting a mic and the external audio recording on a mic stand with a boom arm is better when position the mic right above the subject but not appear in the video. Otherwise, you will need to have a long audio cable running back from the mic to the camera that support audio input.

You can sync the audio with the video with software manually or automatically. Just start the video and audio recording and then clap your hands 3 times and the software should be able to sync them for you based on the sharp peaks of the audio pattern.

As for external monitor, both cameras has micro-hdmi. So you can connect an external monitor to the camera. The main differences between the RX10 series and the RX100 series are the size, price and lens (RX10 cost more, heavier and bigger and the lens has a longer reach)

Of course, other 4K capable cameras most likely should be pretty good as well. If you like to change lens, then you need to look for either mirrorless or DSLR type cameras especially you want to shoot a scene with shallow Depth of View with a wide aperture lens and larger recording format.

There are lots of camera in town right now. You are looking for DSLR or flip camera I hope. Some of them supports 4k resolution. You just noted your budget also. Which help me to find the right camera for you. After researching I have found SPAM LINK REMOVED will be the best camera for you. Because it supports 4k and and budget is also on your hand. So go for it :)

Nice try peddling your projector sales site, but your spam has been reported.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back