What's new

Need Advice on Lenses

AdamIsMyName

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jul 4, 2011
Messages
38
Reaction score
0
Location
Ohio
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro lense that I use for shooting macro. It also takes nice portraits, etc. but the shots are super tight; if I want, say a full length body shot, I have to move really far away to take it...

I also have a 18-55mm f3.5 - 5.6 IS kit lens and a 75-300mm zoom lens

I want to get a lens that has nice detail suitable for portraits but is not so tight that I dont have to stand 50' away from the subject to achieve full length body shots...

I was looking at the Canon 50mm 1.8 I hear its a good lens especially for the money, and that's really all I can afford... Is it worth it for me to purchase - will it make a difference vs. the 100mm 2.8 macro lens

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
O-M-G get out of my head!!!!! I just came on here to aske the EXACT same question. I have been doing the research and I think I am going to test a few before I make the final purchase. I "tested" (and by test I mean rented for the weekend) the 100mm 2.8 and ran into the same issue. I think I may rent this one next to see how it goes:
LensRentals.com - Rent a Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L

I am really looking to get some sharp photos. Right now my portraits are ok but I think would really pop well if I could get the eyes sharper.

Any other suggestions out there?
 
Take your 18-55mm lens, and set it to 50mm.
That is exactly the same view that you will get with the 50mm F1.8. So you tell us if that is wide enough for you.

As far as quality, the 50mm F1.8 is often recommended because it is so inexpensive....but it's also cheap. I'd think that your 100mm Macro will give you superior quality to the 50mm F1.8.

If you want top image quality, look at the 50mm F1.4, the 50mm F1.2 L, the 35mm F1.4 L, the 24mm F1.4 L etc,
 
Take your 18-55mm lens, and set it to 50mm.
That is exactly the same view that you will get with the 50mm F1.8. So you tell us if that is wide enough for you.


Actually Im not sure that is true I believe the 18-55 is an ef-s model and the 50 is a ef mount. So the 50 will have a FOV equivalent to an 85mm on FF. But regardless I use the 50f1.4 and 100 f2.8 macro together for portraits. With the 50 you still have to move back a bit for full body but works great. For the money the 50f1.4, 85 f1.8 , and 100 f2.8 macro cant be beat. Hope this helps.
 
Actually Im not sure that is true I believe the 18-55 is an ef-s model and the 50 is a ef mount. So the 50 will have a FOV equivalent to an 85mm on FF.

EF and EF-S lenses cast the same sized image circle on the sensor, so a photo on a crop sensor camera from an EFS 50mm lens (or zoom at 50mm) and from an EF 50mm lens (or zoom at 50mm) will give you the exact same field of view (FOV). Field of view remains constant.

However when on fullframe the EFS lenses don't cast the outer elements that the larger fullframe sensor captures, thus an EFS lens on a fullframe camera will give black edges around the frame; whilst an EF lens will instead show the detail in those areas - giving a wider perspective than the EF lens can capture - this is why you get the concept that crop sensor bodies have "more zoom" because the photos taken with them have fields of view which look more zoomed in than the focal length on the lens states when compared to the same focal length on fullframe.

Generally though if you are not or have no used a 35mm sensor/film then the field of view comparisons are moot since you've no prior experience to consider 50mm as anything but what your DSLR shows.
 
I am really confused how an old member like your self posted this statement.


Actually Im not sure that is true I believe the 18-55 is an ef-s model and the 50 is a ef mount. So the 50 will have a FOV equivalent to an 85mm on FF. But regardless I use the 50f1.4 and 100 f2.8 macro together for portraits. With the 50 you still have to move back a bit for full body but works great. For the money the 50f1.4, 85 f1.8 , and 100 f2.8 macro cant be beat. Hope this helps.
 
Ok not to derail the thread but why is the Canon EF-S 10-22 equivalent to 16-35 on FF 35mm? here?
 
Take your 18-55mm lens, and set it to 50mm.
That is exactly the same view that you will get with the 50mm F1.8. So you tell us if that is wide enough for you.


Actually Im not sure that is true I believe the 18-55 is an ef-s model and the 50 is a ef mount. So the 50 will have a FOV equivalent to an 85mm on FF. But regardless I use the 50f1.4 and 100 f2.8 macro together for portraits. With the 50 you still have to move back a bit for full body but works great. For the money the 50f1.4, 85 f1.8 , and 100 f2.8 macro cant be beat. Hope this helps.
No, you are mistaken.

50mm on a lens....is 50mm on a lens. EF or EF-S, doesn't matter.

The difference that you speak of, comes when you use a different camera. For example, the 50mm lens on a camera with an APS-C sized sensor, will have the same field of view as an 80mm lens on a [35mm film] or full frame digital camera.

If you don't have/use a 35mm film camera or a full frame digital body, then you should disregard the so called 'crop factor'. 50mm on your camera will look the same (FOV) through the viewfinder, no matter which lens it is.
 
Ok not to derail the thread but why is the Canon EF-S 10-22 equivalent to 16-35 on FF 35mm? here?
It's equivalent in terms of Field of view....and only when comparing cameras with different sized sensors/film.

The reason that this 'crop factor' exists, is because the "standard" used to be 35mm film cameras. Most lenses (for SLR) were designed to work with those cameras. When digital SLR cameras came out, they wanted to use the same lenses but it was cheaper/easier to use a smaller sensor. So while the lens remains unchanged (going from film to digital SLR), the smaller sensor on the digital means that the outside of the image is cropped off (hence, the 'crop factor).

So for those of us, who were used to 35mm film....a certain focal length would give us a smaller FOV, when we switched to a digital body.

But....if you are not used to 35mm film, and you didn't not switch.....then this factor shouldn't be an issue for you. 50mm, on your camera, will always be 50mm. EF, EF-S or other.
 
Ok to clarify my statement. I fully understand that 50mm or 200mm is what it is and does not change. But with a crop body and a full frame body with the same lens like the EF 50mm you will get 2 different FOV if standing in the exact same spot. One will appear to be closer than the other. So the efs 15-55 at 50 on a crop sensor will look like a 50mm on FF but the ef 50mm on a crop sensor will look more like a 85. Correct?
 
Thanks!

Looking at my original question... lol... obviously 50mm is 50mm so I could have just compared with the lens I have...

Actually It seems I would want a wide angle lens, or the 55mm kit lens that I have would work; though its not as sharp :( as 2.8, 1.8, 1.4 etc. It would offer me versatility with the ability to zoom.
 
Nope. 50mm using 18-55 on crop sensor will look almost the same as 50mm on cropped. You cant compare it on a full frame because the EF-S lens is made specifically for cropped sensor and wont mount to the full frame. If you were able to attach it to a full frame, you will more likely see heavy black vignette.

Ok to clarify my statement. I fully understand that 50mm or 200mm is what it is and does not change. But with a crop body and a full frame body with the same lens like the EF 50mm you will get 2 different FOV if standing in the exact same spot. One will appear to be closer than the other. So the efs 15-55 at 50 on a crop sensor will look like a 50mm on FF but the ef 50mm on a crop sensor will look more like a 85. Correct?
 
Ok to clarify my statement. I fully understand that 50mm or 200mm is what it is and does not change. But with a crop body and a full frame body with the same lens like the EF 50mm you will get 2 different FOV if standing in the exact same spot. One will appear to be closer than the other. So the efs 15-55 at 50 on a crop sensor will look like a 50mm on FF but the ef 50mm on a crop sensor will look more like a 85. Correct?

Not quite... EF vs. EF-S is the lens mount, and only determines what camera the lens will mount to. An EF 50mm and EF-S 50mm on a crop body will look identical. If you could actually mount the EF-S to a full frame, it would look identical there too (aside from the fact that it won't cover the whole sensor). ONLY focal length and sensor size determine the field of view. Every lens with 50mm printed on it will have the same field of view if it is mounted to the same sensor.
 
So the efs 15-55 at 50 on a crop sensor will look like a 50mm on FF but the ef 50mm on a crop sensor will look more like a 85. Correct?

What?!? No! They are both projecting the image on the same sensor... so same FOV. Your sensor has no 'knowledge' of the type of mount that your lens is attached to your camera with.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom