Need advice on purchase

EricO

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A friend of mine is getting ready to make a purchase. He's lookin at a kit that comes with a Nikon 18-55mm VR f/3.5-5.6 lens. I recommended that he buy the kit only and take the extra $$$ to buy a 50mm 1.8 or 1.4 lens. What would you recommend?
Thanks in advance.

Depends on what he wants to take pictures of I guess,
the 18-55 is an OK banging around all purpose lens.
50 is better for portraits and low light and probably sharper.

Depends on what he shoots. If it's only portraits get the 50mm f1.4. But if he wanted to walk around with it and snap pics of everything then go with the kit lens.

I will never buy a D-SLR again with a kit lens. It's usually never what you really need.

I'd recommend the body plus a kit lens killer like a Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, good all around lens.

It depends what body he's getting. Most of the entry-level Nikon cameras cannot be purchased new, body only.

The 18-55 VR lens is a great deal for what it costs. Used properly it is quite sharp for such an inexpensive lens. A prime will be quite limiting compared to a zoom because in some situations you can only back up so far.

^^ what he says ^^

The 18-55mm is a surprisingly good little lens, especially for the for the money. Sure you can pay more money for another lens and get more, but that will always be the case, no matter what you buy.

i'd spend the first bit of extra money on an SB600 + cheapie wireless system.

i rarely use my 18-55 but i did a bunch on vacation and am quite happy with the results. the improvement in the prime is definitely there, but having a proper flash that you can use off camera can provide a much larger improvement in picture quality if used properly.

The 50mm is a great normal lens for a FX camera but not a good match for a DX camera. I would not buy a 50mm lens for a DX camera. Your friend will not be happy with the lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back