Need advice/recommendation on first DSLR

I see you're still undecided. In all honesty, it probably will not matter much which of these cameras you elect to buy. Most of what you are seeing is probably the result of the LCD screen differences, rather than the inherent image quality of the cameras. At the lower entry level d-slr category, I personally think that Canon has an edge over Nikon, and if you seem to prefer the Canon layout and menu structures, then the T1i might just be the camera for you.

I was reading the other day at the Thom Hogan's Nikon Field Guide and Nikon Flash Guide web site, and he opined that Nikon has sort of lost its was at the lower end of the d-slr market, and that their offerings are stale, and unappealing. His article is probably now on the archived page 2 section, but what he was saying dovetails with my experience with Nikon going back to the early 1980's; namely, that Nikon has never been a very good entry-level camera maker, and their product history is littered with some really blase to awful lower-end cameras in the various Nikkormats, Nikon FG, FG-20, Nikon EM, Nikon N20/20, Nikon N4004 and 6006 models, N75, D50, D5000, D3000. Until the late 1970's, a "Nikon" was always a fully-professional camera, and a Nikkormat was an "amateur" camera. Beginning in the late 1970's, Nikon re-named what would have been Nikkormats, and started coming out with lower-cost models. But the Nikon corporation's real strength has always been its mid-range (aka its serious enthusiast/semi-pro bodies) and its flagship cameras.

But you're inherently "onto something" between a T1i and a D5000, in that a well-shot image is going to be pretty good when taken to the computer, from either camera. I don't think either the T1i or the D5000 has a compelling or significant edge over the other camera. For a beginner, the d-slr advantage is going to be the viewfinder, the lens lineup available, and the speed with which the camera actually shoots a picture after pressing the shutter release button.

I don't think the sensor advantage of one entry-level camera over another, in this instance, is that big of a deal. I'd buy whichever camera you happen to like more.

Thank you very much for this detailed reply. I bet you're right; I should just go with what is most comfortable to me.

My only suggestion is.. dont buy it from Best Buy LOL

I went to Best Buy because they had the cameras on display. I went there to try them out. I was planning on searching around online for good prices but out of curiosity, why shouldn't I buy from Best Buy? It's not like I'd be buying the floor model...

Quick background: I got into film photography about 5 years ago. After 2 years, I made the switch to digital but did not opt for a high-end camera. I bought a Canon Powershot A570IS and have been extremely happy with it since. I had already learned how to use manual settings with my film camera so there wasn't a problem there. Now after 3 years of digital photography, I quickly realized that I want to do more than what the Powershot can provide. This began my search for an entry-mid level DSLR.

A good friend of mine had been using a Nikon D40 for quite some time. As a result, I was able to use and become familiar with this camera. I grew to like the interface and also the quality of its images. Now that I am actually in the market for a DSLR, I have my eye on the Nikon D5000.

I went to Best Buy today and spent an hour messing around with the D5000 and also the D3000. The interface on the D5000 will take a little getting used to (coming from my Powershot) but otherwise I liked it. Just before I left the store I said what the hey and picked up the Canon EOS Digital Rebell T1i. I believe it is the same class as the D5000, just made by Canon.

After fiddling around with it, I came to the conclusion that I liked the menu layout on the Canon better, but the physical layout of buttons on the camera better on the Nikon. At this point I had to leave so I just snapped two quick photos of the store from the D5000 and the T1i in auto mode. (I had previously selected the same settings for picture quality and size in both cameras). When comparing the two images side by side, I was amazed to notice that the Canons shot was MUCH better! I figured there would be slight differences but not this much. I mean, the Nikon looked like a camera phone picture (and I am NOT exaggerating). The Canons image was very clear and sharp, the colors were very defined etc. The Nikons image was dimmer, lighting was borderline terrible, the colors were dark and not defined. I was very disappointed with the image. I took some real quick shots of other parts of the store just to get one last comparison between both cameras and yielded the same results.

What gives? Should I have expected this much of a difference? Both cameras were in auto and the settings were identical. Based solely on what I saw in those quick auto images, I would take the Canon any day.

I guess I would just like some feedback. Experience with both cameras, what you've heard about both etc. Basically help me decide (also explain why there was such a big difference :confused: ). If you made it this far, thanks for taking the time to read.

I should add, most of my photography consists of landscapes, waterscapes, nature..."outdoor photography" to sum it up :D

LOL

You guys crack me up. Why an autofocus digital camera for landscape work? Trees racing around? Rocks jumping?

Use film! Use a Leica. Get a nice used M-3 or whatever. Lighter, better lenses, easier to use.

Hmmm, maybe because "landscape work" is not all I intend to use the camera for...now that's a thought!

(Not to mention a host of other reasons why I prefer digital which I won't get into here)
LOL

Hilarious. Film is vastly superior to digital.

When digital is as good as this, maybe...

http://www.photographyboard.net/helen-4343.html

Yeah, call me when it is...like never....

Last edited:
Yeah...Best Buy seems like a perfectly acceptable big box store from which to buy an entry-level d-slr camera...they are fair in price, and have ample inventory of the kind of cameras and lenses that most hobbyists would want. I've shopped at Best Buy for electronics, and have never been disappointed by the store or its prices. When buying something like a T1i or a D5000, Best Buy's as good as any other big box brick and mortar store, in most cities.

Yeah...Best Buy seems like a perfectly acceptable big box store from which to buy an entry-level d-slr camera...they are fair in price, and have ample inventory of the kind of cameras and lenses that most hobbyists would want. I've shopped at Best Buy for electronics, and have never been disappointed by the store or its prices. When buying something like a T1i or a D5000, Best Buy's as good as any other big box brick and mortar store, in most cities.

I agree, I also have a $75 gift card there :D

Most reactions

Back