need advice >

phillipkane

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So the camera I have been shooting with, as of the last month and a half or so is my Hasselblad 500c... and I am encountering an issue when trying to nail focus on a reflection shot (out of a window for example)... I am manually focusing (of course), and have never had this issue when I shot similar images with my D810, and had wanted to ask if this is a common issue when focusing through ground glass? If the window I am shooting a reflection out of is 4-5 feet away, but the object reflecting out of it is much further, I normally find I have to focus to infinity or close to it, but I still can't snap it into focus in camera... a lot of my photos are shot similarly, so I don't know if modern dslrs are better suited for nailing focus on shots such as these? any advice would be helpful, thanks

Sounds like you’re getting some “ghosting” through the glass. If you’re focusing on a distant object (infinity) but you have a reflection of nearby objects just a few feet away ... those are not the same distance. I’d expect a blurry reflection.

You may be able to use a polarizer to eliminate (or at least substantially reduce) the reflection. Since the Hassy is a manual focus camera, you don’t need a “circular polarizer” (although Hassy did have an optional finder that had a built-in meter and a linear polarizer can confuse a light meter.)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back