What's new

Need better quality photos

Normansd

TPF Noob!
Joined
Oct 22, 2013
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Location
US
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am an amateur photographer shooting with a canon t2i and efs 18-55mm. I want better quality images. Sharp, crisp, "I can see the details in her eyes" photos. Is that possible with what I'm working with, and maybe I'm just not using it properly? Or is there only so much I can do with this basic equipment, and I need to upgrade. If so, please suggest upgrade. Here is a photo I recently took. It's ok but not as good as I want it to be.
 

Attachments

  • $image.webp
    $image.webp
    81.6 KB · Views: 77
  • $image.webp
    $image.webp
    68.4 KB · Views: 73
It's absolutely possible. First, have the child look AT you, next nail your focus (both of these are slightly soft) and next get some light either with an off-camera flash, or failing that a reflector (which can be as simple as a piece of white posterboard). Ensure your focus is spot on, use a mid-range aperture (I like f8) and you'll be fine. It's focus and light that make the difference, NOT gear!

This is what that light and sharp focus gives you:
Kelsey%20(3).jpg

You can achieve exactly the same thing with your gear!
 
That's what I'm looking for. Ok, so a couple more questions...

Do you have tips on achieving spot on focus? I'm using MF, but with children it becomes difficult because they're constantly moving. I don't have the extra second I feel like I need to ensure accurate focus.

Also, I'm using Al servo mode, which I was told was better for moving subjects. Does the focus lock only work if the subject moves from side to side? Or does it also lock into focus if the subject moves closer or farther away?...And is this the better mode to use?

And as a side note: What would better gear offer me, if not sharper images?

Thanks for the reply!
 
WHY use manual focus? Your camera is designed to auto-focus, and it does it quite well, much better and more accurately than you can manually focus, especially given the dim pentamirror viewfinders and lack of split-prism focusing screens in many modern cameras. I'm a Nikonian, so I can't speak to specifics on Canon focusing modes, but I do know that even when shooting children or animals, they can't move faster than my camera can focus. You do however have to make sure that your camera is focusing in the correct place in the scene. I always use a single focusing point, and place that over the near eye or the bridge of the nose.

Better gear will offer a slight increase in sharpness, but it's not going to be noticeable when shooting in average conditions, that is, nice, brightly lit scenes where you're 1/250 at f8, ISO 200. What better gear will offer you is better build quality, MUCH better build quality, faster focusing, larger maximum apertures, and constant aperture zoom lenses.
 
You can use better, faster glass with AF and Al servo mode. You could also try using a higher shutter speed to help with any "softness/blurriness." MF isn't very good for moving subjects and not really necessary. The focus lock is nice, but your original lock will have to be in focus (if that makes any sense) so work on getting your subject perfectly in focus first before locking/recomposing. Good luck!
 
Does the focus lock only work if the subject moves from side to side? Or does it also lock into focus if the subject moves closer or farther away?

Focus lock locks focus and does not allow for any re-focusing until it is released.

Using manual focus and focus lock is not a preferred method for shooting children or any moving subject.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom