Need buying advice: Nikon D7200/d5500 for moving horses / animals outside and lightbox macro work?

Honestly for what you want your normal lens plus a set of extension tubes is all you will need. Your macro demands are not too extreme so whilst a dedicated macro might be the tool of choice; a regular lens will do much of what you want and extension tubes will cover the rest. A good set of tubes like the Kenko brand are affordable and have the metal contacts that you need to communicate from lens to camera; cheap brand options are out there for a very small amount but they lack the contact pins thus you can't control the lens (eg you've no aperture control).

For the equine photography I would go for the 70-200mm. Ideally what you need is the f2.8 and the longer focal lengths for two reasons:
1) Indoors and with action you will find light lacking. f2.8 is enough to shoot well and still cover horse and rider; any wider (smaller f number) and you make things a lot harder. I've often have my camera at its max ISO and its aperture at f2.8 and still needed more light.

As a tip 1/640sec is the slowest speed for a showjumping horse for sharp results; 1/500 and you'll get hoof/mane/tail blurring but still pleasing on the main body if shot right. Any slower and its too blurry - faster is always ideal if the light allows.

2) Horses are big subjects and if you take photos too close to them you get perspective distortion. This is where parts closer to the lens are enlarged over those further away - those classic "big nose in the camera face" photos are an extreme example. Thus for portraits or full body around 100mm or longer is recommended. Of course if you're doing a shot much further away - like a landscape - then a wider focal length (shorter) can work just as well since you're not close.

Thanks!!

I hope you don't mind me posting another question...

which specific 70-200mm (with model type et al) do you recommend? I tried googling tamron 70-200 but there are multiple options and I'm really confused what is what.

Would the 18-140 be enough for lightbox product photography?

What specific extension tube would you recommend? I have never heard of these things... I hope you can point me to some specific products.

I hope to place my order tonight.. I'm going to play with photographing next weekend.

Few thoughts:

1) 70-200mm I would recommend an f2.8 version. The newer Tamron with VC will likely be the best performer; you won't need the stabilizing; however the optics will be the best from Tamron.

2) The 18-140mm should be more than enough; and because you will likely be using apertures such as f8 the lens should be more than suitably sharp for typical product photography.

3) Extension tubes are typically sold in a set of 3 - at least from Kenko. Basically they fit between the camera body and lens and when added remove its ability to focus on further off subjects. However they also reduce the minimum focusing distance as well; thus letting you focus closer to a subject for an enlarged magnification.

I have the Tamron 70-200mm 2.8, its an outstanding lens and much cheaper then the Nikon version.
If you are considering the Tamron then you want to get the model with VC which is the Vibration Control.
Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 VC is better then the older model for 2 reasons, it will auto focus much better in lower light and of course has vibration control which comes in handy when shooting in lower shutter speeds.

Few thoughts:

1) 70-200mm I would recommend an f2.8 version. The newer Tamron with VC will likely be the best performer; you won't need the stabilizing; however the optics will be the best from Tamron.

2) The 18-140mm should be more than enough; and because you will likely be using apertures such as f8 the lens should be more than suitably sharp for typical product photography.

3) Extension tubes are typically sold in a set of 3 - at least from Kenko. Basically they fit between the camera body and lens and when added remove its ability to focus on further off subjects. However they also reduce the minimum focusing distance as well; thus letting you focus closer to a subject for an enlarged magnification.

Thanks! I guess I don't need stabilizing because of not shooting video?

Stabilization affects stills and video and helps with smooth hand holding.

A rough rule of thumb for stills and hand holding is 1/focal length. So in theory that's 1/200sec for a 200mm lens (or a zoom set to 200mm). So for equine shooting you'll already be at faster shutter speeds. That said its a common feature on newer lenses and thus newer lenses with improved optical performance often have it as a feature. So whilst the VC might not be essential the optics in the lens can be a good step up.

That said I don't know the Tamron line well; but their new 70-200mm VC I know does well in reviews.

I hope you don't mind me posting another question...

which specific 70-200mm (with model type et al) do you recommend? I tried googling tamron 70-200 but there are multiple options and I'm really confused what is what.

Would the 18-140 be enough for lightbox product photography?

What specific extension tube would you recommend? I have never heard of these things... I hope you can point me to some specific products.

I hope to place my order tonight.. I'm going to play with photographing next weekend.

Ok, so for 70-200mm if your looking at the tamron get the VC version if you have the budget. If not look for a Sigma with OS, and if you don't have the budget for that the Sigma without the OS.

Thanks for all the info!

I'v just ordered the D7200 with the 18-140 + carrying bag + 2x 32GB Sandisk extreme + extra EN-EL15 battery + microfiber cloth + lens pen + air blow thingy. I want the more upper end / expensive 70-200 for better results, so I have to wait a bit longer till I have money again. Man, photography is expensive!!

Should arrive tomorrow already.. Why do I have a job I have to go to? I want to play!

Sounds good and hope you have fun :)

And yeah it gets expensive if you want the quality items; but they are really worth it when you see the results they can achieve!

To go with what Overread had to say about expensive, if you have children this is something to keep in mind.
teachyourkidsphotography.jpg

Thanks for all the info!

I'v just ordered the D7200 with the 18-140 + carrying bag + 2x 32GB Sandisk extreme + extra EN-EL15 battery + microfiber cloth + lens pen + air blow thingy. I want the more upper end / expensive 70-200 for better results, so I have to wait a bit longer till I have money again. Man, photography is expensive!!

Should arrive tomorrow already.. Why do I have a job I have to go to? I want to play!
Awesome news, congrats on your new purchase, you will love your new toy.
And BTW if you think photography is expensive try collecting watches :)

Good luck and enjoy :)

Thanks for all the great information and the help! I've received my Nikon D7200 with 18-140mm NIKOR lens today and went out for some pics:

cf5kUqL

SC7IoOw

xlBfo5M

RW3OjRb

17OoFcf

XHiB8N2

3rocXIg

I'll start saving already for a nice 70-200. I really want to get semi-professional in equine photography so gonna check out how the 18-140 holds up with movement but I will be needing the 70-200. But first learn how to shoot and compose nice photos..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back