Need Camera Advice -Im a newbie

jwhphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone!

I am new to photography. I have always enjoyed taking pictures, mostly landscape and nature pictures. I am looking to buy a new camera as my old camera isn’t very good. I have a Nikon coolpix 4200 i got for free as a wedding gift a couple years ago, however i am looking to buy an entry level camera. However I have no idea about cameras.

Here is what I know I want.

Digital Camera
Price range $400-$800
I would like manual control settings (no simple point and shoot, that’s what i have now.)
I would like to have the option of interchangeable lens's.
I think I need DSLR.

However i am very ignorant of a lot of the terminology. I am looking into taking a basic photo class in the spring and i will need a camera for that. Here is what the class requirements are - "Digital cameras with adjustable f-stops and shutter speeds"

Any recommendations would be appreciated. I also am willing to buy new or used, and currently have no prejudice of any brand, except I’ve heard good things about Nikons and Olympus.

Thank you for you help.

jwhphoto

Edit: I was looking at the Nikon D40, is this any good? Also what are some good camera shopping sites?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16830113037

D200 prices keep dropping lower and lower. I saw one for sell the other day for $650. Combine that with a new 50/1.8 and you'll be all set for your up coming class.

Do you want a dSLR, a Bridge camera, or a top P&S?

Thanks for the input.

I went and talked with some people at my local camera store and i decided on a Nikon D80. I got a pretty decent price on it, and it came with a 18-135mm lens.

I think you'll be very happy with that choice. Have fun, stay close, post some pictures!

D80 with 18-135mm lens ... I say it is a good choice especially you seen the camera already. It should have everything you need to get started.

Most reactions

Back