Need Critique Please....Basset Gone Wild

Saddlebreds4me

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My photography mentor is always telling me to 'get on my subject's level' so the other day, I did it. I got down in the grass, and knowingly took my life and camera in my own hands...he was across the yard, and I called him.

My camera and I narrowly escaped death as he swerved to my left...:D

What could I have done to get his left leg (but the right one looking at the photo) to get it in focus with the rest of the photo? Ok...I just went to look at my image info on this photo and it's telling me this was shot at 1/320 and I distinctly remember increasing it to about 1/1000 because both of my dogs were running like mad...grrrrr...oh well, I am guess that the higher shutter speed would have cleared up his leg. I like the way his tongue is swirling in his mouth.

Any other C & C?

DSC_9668.jpg

I think this is a wonderful pic. I agree that it could have been a bit better in regards to that leg, but your eye focuses on his face and the leg is a minor detail. Getting down to his level really makes the shot. The only minor critique I would add is that the red post in the BG is a bit distracting. So, put yourself and camera at risk, and go for it again.

good pic...red post is distracting as well as the 2 blue vertical lines....otherwise great shot!

Great capture! Could use a little more contrast and maybe touch more sharpening.

good pic...red post is distracting as well as the 2 blue vertical lines....otherwise great shot!

Since I don't think you could easily clone out this stuff, you might be able to change it's color to be less distracting.

Very amusing shot otherwise.

Since I don't think you could easily clone out this stuff, you might be able to change it's color to be less distracting.

Very amusing shot otherwise.

Thanks and I agree regarding the background - Damn swing set - I keep telling my parents now that the grandkids are old enough to get rid of it...lol. They want to but the youngest granddaughter keeps protesting :)

A Photoshopper with mad skills could select the dog and the grass around it, cut it out and then layer it onto another image with a better background. I'm a noob at Photoshop but I've seen it done.

A Photoshopper with mad skills could select the dog and the grass around it, cut it out and then layer it onto another image with a better background. I'm a noob at Photoshop but I've seen it done.

I have LESS than noob status with Photoshop - if someone held a gun to my head and said take the red and blue poles out of the background or I will kill you...well, all I can say is, my affairs better be in order! It's why I send stuff like this out to my eighteen year old niece who has been using photoshop for the last five years...I mean this kid is amazing with it.

Photoshop or not, it is a very good picture. While I agree about the poles, the fact is, the image itself (the dog, the tongue, your intro about narrowly escaping death as he ran toward you...) all make for a truly cute and enjoyable photo.

Chief

Thanks for the feedback everyone, the next day it's not raining and I can get my two hounds out in that wonderful fenced in backyard, I will reshoot and repost (hopefully without the 'posts' this time!)

To the OP. Thank you for the laugh. The only reason I laugh is that I had 2 Basset Hounds when I was young. The picture brought back some good memories.

Thank you......

I always wanted to get a Basset because they were supposedly low-energy dogs.

I think the shot is awesome. Whoever said something about changing the color has a good idea. the placement of the post isn't as distracting as the color. Muting it into some sort of brown hue would really help.

And once again, great shot. I have some super high-energy dogs as well, so I know what you mean. From the time your camera gets down to their level, to the time they're right there is about .4 seconds.

I would simply select the colors you want to be less distracting and lower the saturation.
I would soften the background slightly also. I like the picture as well as the intro line.
:) keep it up.

I gave it a shot.
Not my best but I dont think its to bad.
dog.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back