Need decent tripod

kkamin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.kevinkaminphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I need to get a professional looking, complete tripod, and would like to spend around $150 or less for now (will upgrade to a studio stand in the future). Doesn't need to super tough. I mostly do studio work or work on location in benign environments. Would like a level on the head as well as the legs. New or used is fine. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Dolica-AX620B100-62-Inch-Proline-Tripod/dp/B001D60LG8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1269160314&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Dolica AX620B100 62-Inch Proline Tripod and Ball Head: Electronics[/ame]

...is the one i have. its fairly decent, but going to replace it soon with:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-190XPROB-Section-Aluminum-Tripod/dp/B000N7VPRW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1269160353&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Manfrotto 190XPROB 3 Section Aluminum Pro Tripod: Electronics[/ame]

the dolica is only $40 and supports my gripped 50d and 70-200mm 2.8 is with no problem. the ball head works, but can be a pain sometimes to get the position right where you want it.

the manfrotto is awesome, but its already $150 on its own and still requires the purchase of a head for it.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/615-315-Professional-Photo-Tripod-Panhead/dp/B0002EXF38/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1269160514&sr=8-4"]Amazon.com: SLIK 615-315 Professional Photo/video Tripod with Panhead: Electronics[/ame]

...was mentioned to me at one point by someone else, and looks to be decent...but for the price ($140) i'd much rather have the manfrotto.

hope this helps at least a little bit. :)

I don't have a specific model suggestion, but my Bogan/Manfrotto tripod is going on 20 years of hard use, and has never failed me.

www.giottos.com

Look at the MT line, 9200 series aluminum tripods. They include a 3 way head and a level. I recommend the MT-9261 or 9361 if you are of average height.

Last edited:
I need to get a professional looking, complete tripod, and would like to spend around $150 or less for now (will upgrade to a studio stand in the future). Doesn't need to super tough. I mostly do studio work or work on location in benign environments. Would like a level on the head as well as the legs. New or used is fine. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you.

First you need to decide, do you need a professional looking tripod or a good tripod. I can recommend a professional looking tripod for around $30.00. I wouldn't own it if you gave it to me but it looks professional.

Here are some general rules for buying a tripod.

1. The legs need to be long enough to bring the camera up to eye level with out extending the center column with the head attached. Extending the column makes the setup less stable. This will save a lot of back ache.

2. The head needs to be a decent quality head. There are many makers of good heads out there depending on your price range and style you choose. Head preference is a whole nother discussion.

3. The legs and the head need to have a maximum load rating of at least twice the weight of the heaviest gear you ever plan put on it. This also helps provide the stability you need and want in a tripod.

4. The material the tripod is made of needs to be chosen with a few things in mind.

a. Whether you will be carrying it long distances or not. Carbon fiber is lighter and more expensive than aluminum.

b. What conditions you will be using it in. For general use or studio use Aluminum works just fine. In harsher conditions Carbon fiber is a better choice since the carbon fiber will not corode as aluminum will if it is imersed in salt water or water with a lot of minerals. (depending on the minerals) If constantly in very wet conditions a good hard wood tripod is the best. Most people do not use them much as they are heavy, and expensive but they are the most stable choice in a tripod and work well in very damp climates.

5. Pick one with leg locks and control locks that you like and feel comfortable with. Manfrotto lever locks are conienient, however Gitzo's no twist legs are very rapid to set up with their twist locks.

6. Pick a price range you can live with. Good tripods will cost a bit of money, but a good tripod, taken care of can last a lifetime. If you buy cheap you will be replacing it and in the long run spend more then you would have if you bought wisely the first time.

Anyone in the market for a tripod should check out this article before buying.

Tripods and Ball Heads by Thom Hogan

The average shooter doesn't have to spend the money that Thom spends. But for a little well spent money and an eye to the future a good tripod can be purchased that you may well never outgrow. $150.00 spent 30 years ago has yielded me a studio tripod with head that to this day can't be beat and continues to preform flawlessly. For less than $300 a good tripod and head can be purchased that will last a lifetime.

Most reactions

Back