Need DSLR camera and lens recommendation for beginner.

icedlatte

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Let me give some details so you understand what my needs are. I'm just getting into photography, starting some classes and in hope to start my own professional business as soon as possible, probably in the portraits/studio/beauty/outdoors areas, a little close up shots and lots of bokeh. My budget is about $1500, but must include all the essentials, as in camera, and hopefully 2-3 lenses. What are the best options I can get in this area? What lenses are most recommended for me? I am more in favor of Nikon or Canons. The camera has to be good enough for a small home grown business.
Thanking in advance!

icedlatte said:
Let me give some details so you understand what my needs are. I'm just getting into photography, starting some classes and in hope to start my own professional business as soon as possible, probably in the portraits/studio/beauty/outdoors areas, a little close up shots and lots of bokeh. My budget is about $1500, but must include all the essentials, as in camera, and hopefully 2-3 lenses. What are the best options I can get in this area? What lenses are most recommended for me? I am more in favor of Nikon or Canons. The camera has to be good enough for a small home grown business.
Thanking in advance!

I'm fine with recommending a camera to a beginner, but I can't do so if the beginner wants to make a business out of it "as soon as possible." It's unethical, IMO. And a bad way to start off in the field.

A few photography courses do not a portrait photographer make. Unless of course, you have a very nice portfolio, in which case I retract my last statement.

Canon T4i or Nikon D5100 body. Get the 50mm 1.8 lens. Instant money maker. Use the remaining money for studio and website development unless you're gonna go the Facebook route. You're going to need studio lights that can hold up to day to day rigorous use. You're looking at $300-$1000 bare minimum for adequate studio lights, modifiers, stands, reflectors, triggers, etc. You can gamble with cheap E-bay/ Cowboy studio lights but after you replaced them two times, you'll realize you could've just bought better lights to begin with. Look into Flashpoint Monolights from Adorama or the Paul C Buff Alien Bees line. Avoid continuous lighting if you're photographing moving subjects such as humans and animals.

And if I may ask, what is the urgency to hang out the business shingle so quickly? Not that it matters....just curious.

One last thing- this question pops up weekly around here. You may want to don thick skin for some of the answers that will show up.

icedlatte said:
I'm just getting into photography...and...hope to start my own professional business as soon as possible, probably in the portraits/studio/beauty/outdoors areas

I can't do so if the beginner wants to make a business out of it "as soon as possible." It's unethical, IMO. And a bad way to start off in the field.

^^^ This. Another Best Buy pro.

Just realized you need a suitable flash. Unless you're gonna go the natural light photographer trend in which case you can eliminate the studio portion from your idea list.

I know a guy, who to the best of my knowledge didn't know the first thing about DSLRs, but he knew how much he spent on his two daughter's wedding, so he decided to get into the field. He bought a camera, did three or four jobs for free (there was a pro there taking the money shots), then he hung a shingle on his door & has been doing quite well for the last 8 years.

He gets a lot of recommendations from past customers, so I guess he's doing alright.

As said above going to fast trying to be pro may not be the best idea but good luck to you. For your needs I recommend you buy secondhand. The following would be a good start imo, Canon 5d, EF85 f1.8, EF50 f1.4 and spens a few hundred on a lighting set up (speedlite softboxes etc)

And if I may ask, what is the urgency to hang out the business shingle so quickly? Not that it matters....just curious.

Thank you Tee for your straightforward and nonjudgmental reply! I honestly don't expect to get a business going that fast, but I'm hoping that in a year or two's time I'd be having a few clients to photograph a week. I plan on doing some free jobs or low charge while I'm starting out and building up my name in the community and building my skills. I'm a city girl who married young and moved to the suburbs and I'd like to establish myself here and contribute to paying the bills and not let my creative talent go to waste- trust me, after 3 years of living in a tiny basement apartment and with a toddler running around, you need a big change.

Canon 5D full-frames used are bringing $650 or so here in nice shape. Pretty good camera for "people" pictures when used with a smart operator. NOT a very good "action" camera, but still, good image quality, pleasing color, and full-frame, meaning that the 35mm f/2, the 50mm f/1.4, and 85mm f/1.8 EF lenses are ALL, each one, exceedingly useful lenses, and the 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM zoom is also a VERY useful all-in-one lens, spanning wide-angle to normal to short telephoto.

Add a Canon 580 EX-II flash...accept no substitute on the flash....GET THE 580 EX-TWO....the EX-II...the second-generation EX-II model flash!!!!

Good luck. With a lot of studying,and practice, you could possibly get some lower-end clients and do some simple, paying jobs within a reasonable time frame.

I'm fine with recommending a camera to a beginner, but I can't do so if the beginner wants to make a business out of it "as soon as possible." It's unethical, IMO. And a bad way to start off in the field.

What I meant was "...as soon as possible" when my skills are up to par and I've racked up enough experience to do the kind of work I want to do. However long that takes to start something.
Is that adequate for you or not?

icedlatte said:
What I meant was "...as soon as possible" when my skills are up to par and I've racked up enough experience to do the kind of work I want to do. However long that takes to start something.

That's fine. A lot of people buy DSLRs one day and try to monetize their purchase the next. It doesn't sound like that is your intention which is good.

A good starter DSLR is a Canon 5D mark I for portraits. It can be had for fairly cheap and compliments prime lenses nicely. I use a 5DI and 5DII quite regularly and they both have great image quality. I would also get a reflector at a minimum and possibly a speedlight if your budget allows.

The amplifying imformation was much needed. I take back my camera recommendation then. If you're looking 2 or 3 years down the road then go with Derrel's or Tyler's recommendation. Trust us, there are more than enough "I just got a D3000 or Rebel XTI and am going pro tomorrow" posts weekly on here. Still, to do things properly you're going to need some funds to invest in the right equipment which is something to keep in mind as you progress. Good luck.

Iced, you have to understand where Tyler is coming from. In the past 2 years, there have been countless posts in this forum of beginners coming aboard and posting that they just got a new DSLR from a "big box" store and were planning on opening shop. They mostly are looking for "how much to charge" for their services. Full-time pros like Tyler and many others on this board who have dedicated their lives to learning this craft and whose wedding packages are **worth** $5,000+ take major exceptions to the "Best Buy Pros" who buy their first DLSR and start advertising within a week or two of their purchase.

It's a bit of a running joke around here. So, don't take it personally. That's just how your post came across.

Watch this--it's very amusing and you'll see what I mean. :mrgreen:

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back